In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Broke Scope?

gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a Savage ML10 muzzleloader. Leupold bases/rings, and a Simmons 3x9x50 mounted. Loading with 43gns of IMR4227 "This gun is rated for smokeless powder. It was shooting great about 1 moa,at 100yrds. Next thing I know it would not hit a 4ft x 4ft target! Checked everything out rings and bases are tight charges were double checked same bullet "300grn Hornady XTP". I can not see anything wrong with the scope by looking through or at it. Yes I know the story about cheap scopes however I had this one extra and thought I would try it. Would it be safe to say that something internal broke or can lose and still not be able to see the defect?

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    If that was one of the scopes that Wallyworld has for 40 bucks, wouldn't suprise me been there done that. I thought the deal was too good to be true. It was. rifle shot a group about 3" high and 4 feet wide. Chineese scopes leave alot to be desired in durability. I had a crosshair that was moving all over if the rifle was shaking, moving, shooting or whatever. I have a friend who has a propoint on his contender. The dot "drops" every 50 rounds. Tasco keeps replacing it.

rich
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a "pro50" on sale for about $80. I usually only mount Leupold or latley Weaver Grandslams neither of which have I had any problems. This is a first for me! Guess you get what you pay for, or should I say I got what I deserved as I didn't get my $80 worth!

The Nut

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunnut, pull the scope and try it with iron sights at say 50 yards. If you can hold a good grouping at fifty with with the iron sights, it is likely the scope.
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    richbug, Bet your friend doesn't get anymore replaced! TASCO is history as of May28th and all warranty repairs had to be sent in to their repair facility by 8/8/02!! GHD