In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cleaning brass

pabloescobarpabloescobar Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
i just got a new tumbler (lyman 1200 auto-flow) but the manufacturer isnt specific about the best method to clean brass, it came with the green treated corn cob media. my question being, is that all i need?
should i add some fluid brass polisher?? what is the best media, or method to obtain that "shiny new brass" look? and is this safe to use on nickel casings? thanks in advance quote:

Comments

• Options
    cliffdropover1cliffdropover1 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The green treated corn cob media is fine. Corn cob is good. Adding a little Dillon Rapid Polish 290 will make the media last much longer and clean much better. You will get that new brass look using the Dillon polish.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BUT CAN I ADD THE POLISHER TO THE TREATED MEDIA?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I don't see why not. It probably isn't necessary right off the bat but as the media gets old you'll need it most likely.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    okay thanks,can someone tell me in detail how to clean brass with my lyman 1200? i mean, do i just put the treated corn cob media in the bowl, add brass and mix?? and how long does it usually take to clean it nice and shiny?? quote:

a man's got to know his limitations-d.harry
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    I use a two-step process. First run is with ground walnut shell media, treated or not (though I DID try adding a tablespoon of Simichrome - the pink metal polish you can get at motorcycle stores - with good results last time), on fired cases. This gets the grit, dirt & powder residue off just to protect my dies & you can inspect the cases for dings & splits better. Usually an hour or two does it; more cases = more time. Nickle cases are processed the same. Just be sure not to use any ammonia-bearing cleaners: they dissolve the copper out of the brass & can weaken 'em unpredictably. I go thru the whole mechanical process with the cleaned cases, using Hornady OneShot for a resize lube. Once the cases have had all the metalworking accomplished, I run 'em thru the tumbler with corncob media that's usually been treated by the vendor. This removes the remaining case lube & gives 'em a great shine. I'll run the tumbler off a timer for three or four hours with the corncob. If you use corncob media first, it shortens the useful life as the stuff is fairly soft & gets dirty quick from removing so much grit & grime.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks spclark, that is exactly what i was looking for!! its to bad the manufacturer couldnt do the same

a man's got to know his limitations-d.harry
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I also use the two step process as out lined above but forgot to mention in my first post that I often add some brass polish even in the first step to do the job of the siminthicone; jeweler's lapidiary rouge also does the job. Rice also works as a good final polisher.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using the standard RCBS media (but should be fine with most of the others) lately with a teaspoon dollop of Mothers Mag $ Aluminum Polish(Walmart or automotive stores). Toss the gooey polish in and let it run about 15 minutes to disperse before adding your brass. You won't believe how FAST and shiny clean your brass will get. Average clean is maybe an hour. The stuff lasts so you don't have to do it every with run.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    hondohondo Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 12 years ago I bought a small rotary rock tumbler for $7 at a garage sale. It was like new and bought it on a impulse. Shortly later my vibrating tumbler crapped out for the 4th time so I started to use the rock tumbler and its still working but I replaced the drive belt 3 times. For polishing media I buy crushed corn cob from a pet store that sells it for use in bird cages. It sells for about 30% less than the media sold in gun shops and I cant see any difference. A few squirts of polishing liquid, uaually Dillon or Midway, every 3 or 4 loads and run for 5 hours. After the cleaning inspect the cases for damage and sort by manufacturer. Thats all I do. Hondo
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just an add on, The next time you are at a flea market keep your eye out for a Ultrasconic cleaning tank, They are used by jewlers to clean jewlery. I know it sounds extream, but I have found that doing this as a first step it will cut your tumble time down to about an hour or less for 250 rounds (22-250) and the big bonus is that it will clean the flash hole where the medea (corn cob or wall nut)
    cant touch. If you do get an ultrasconic tank get the Branson 680 or 880. Great for your small gun parts cleaning to!
    Good luck!

"The tree of life is self pruning"