In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 10/22 Bull Barrels

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm considering getting a bull barrel for my 10/22. I don't want a $300 barrel that is supposed to shoot gnats at 100yds with $10 ammo. I do want a reliable gun with normal accuraccy (1 inch or better at 50yds) that does not have to shoot $3 or more ammo. I have some bolt actions that shoot gnats, and I have another 10/22 that's tricked out.

I'm looking at a Green Mountain Barrel and a Clerke Barrel, both are 20" Blue Bulls. The Green Mountain has a "Bentz" chamber and the Clerke supposedly has a Match Chamber. I was told to only use match grade bullets in the Clerke, or use coated lead bullets.

The Green Mountain is $80 and the Clerk is $71 delivered.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a regular old Butler Creek Blued .920" barrel with the flutes on mine, and it shoots 1/2" at 50yds with CCI green tag bullets. For the money, I can't begin to complain. There isn't a squirrel safe in the woods.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    Robert ColeRobert Cole Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a little research into this, as I recently bought my bull barrel. I wanted a decently priced one like you. What I gathered is that Butler creek barrels are a hit or miss deal, either you get a good one or you get one thats not worth s***. Green mountain barrels are supposed to be pretty good, I went with the Clerke 20" blue, I got it from J&G sales for $110 shipped, with the barrel and a hogue overmolded stock. The Clerke barrel is advertised as able to shoot 1/2" at 50 yards and from what I've shot through it so far it looks like it is going to live up to that. I havent put any expensive ammo through it yet, but it still shoots good. I can post some group sizes for you this evening, Im about to go and fire a few shots out of mine.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had good luck with a Butler Creek,and you will probably need to do a trigger job to get the benefit of a bull barrel.
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAVE A BUTLER CREEK AND A VOLQUARTSEN BARREL. BOTH SHOOT WINCHESTER OR CCI AMMO INTO LESS THAN 1 IN. AT 50 YD. I AGREE WITH THE PREVIOUS RESPONSE THAT A TRIGGER JOB IS VERY IMPORTANT INORDER TO GET GOOD RESULTS.
  • Options
    marek13marek13 Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might check out THE SPORTS AUTHORITY stores. I used to work there (NJ) and last week I got a call from my ex-manager and friend of mine that they got a shipment of factory target Rugers that were sitting in the warehouse down sought for more than 5 years. And by that they sell them at the old price. I got mine for 189.99. Yep a bull barrel target version for less than 200. It has different trigger as ruger was putting mach triggers to target models (at least mine have). I do not know what state you live in but I can get you list of stores that got this shipment. I know that there was 1200 of these and they got shipped al over
  • Options
    The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went with the 10-22T SS, laminated stock. I thought after I bought a stock gun, then a new barrel and new stock for it I'd have about the same amount in it. Plus Ruger put it together. Better trigger also. My 12 yesr old daughter has fun with a golf ball from about 75 yards out.
    Just my experience
    John

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just don't understand the Ruger 10/22 crowd. Instead of buying a $100 bull barrel why not just go buy a $75 Marlin Model 60? Mine will out shoot any $200+ Ruger.
  • Options
    CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marek13, I would like that info very much, please send!

drobs, I bet you think your Ford Fiesta can outrun ANY Ferrari and that you're bigger than John Holmes!
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clinton, if you can't take your .22 rifle and put all your shots in one hole, something is wrong. Try the marlin you'ld be amazed!
  • Options
    masada1836masada1836 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    You might check out THE SPORTS AUTHORITY stores. I used to work there (NJ) and last week I got a call from my ex-manager and friend of mine that they got a shipment of factory target Rugers that were sitting in the warehouse down sought for more than 5 years. And by that they sell them at the old price. I got mine for 189.99. Yep a bull barrel target version for less than 200. It has different trigger as ruger was putting mach triggers to target models (at least mine have). I do not know what state you live in but I can get you list of stores that got this shipment. I know that there was 1200 of these and they got shipped al over
  • Options
    masada1836masada1836 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    oopsquote:

: THE SPORTS AUTHORITY stores.
    marek13 could u send me a list of the stores in the downstate area of ny
    claudetlin@aol
  • Options
    in2b8uin2b8u Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out http://clarkcustomguns.com
    Great drop in triggers and speed bolt release. I have that set up / a carbon tension bbl w/ a triport break and a Hogue stock. What a great squirrel gun. Light, fast, accurate. And a boat load of fun to shoot.

I proudly pledge allegience to one nation under God.