In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Polymer Pistols SA XD & reloads

seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up my Springfield Armory V-10 in SW .40 cal and read in the fine print the warranty is void if using reloaded ammunition.

I knew the Glock was this way as there have been a lot of Glock Kabooms but I did not think SA was this way as well. Is this a polymer pistol cop out or do they all suffer the same weakness?

I thought the Glock problem was because the cartridge was not fully supported but I thought the SA was. Am I wrong??

I still like the pistol as it is a great fit to my hand and it was $450. out the door sales tax included.

Comments

• gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To my knowledge, most major manufacturers, will void the warranty if reloads are used. It was always my understanding this was so the manufacturer could cover their * in case a KB or other serious malfunction occured due to improperly loaded ammo on the part of the reloader.

-Marcus

****Happiness is a new gun.****
  • flinchflinch Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive shot nothing but reloads in mine 1000+ . Glocks have less support in the chamber than the Springfield. The Springfield seems to offer more case support and is unlikely to blow.

Edited by - flinch on 09/30/2002 22:06:18
  • bikrprchrbikrprchr Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Gravedigger said above, it is more of a legal issue than a weakness in the gun. If you look at all the manufacturers, I have not seen one in the last couple of years that does not make the same statement as a matter of policy. I own an AR 10 T and it says the same thing in the owners manual. Load wisely and enjoy the toy.

1 Cross + 3 Nails= 4given
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THe reason they put that is do to legal liability. As far as the glock, the reason people have alot of problems with reloads is because they are trying to use lead bullets in their reloads. It has nothing to do with the chamber supporting the cartridge, its because of the rifling. Glocks use an octanganal rifling which is cheaper to mfg than normal rifling but is really bad to shoot unjacketed plain lead bullets thru. But fram what I've observed, and i'm not 100% positive, but it should be safe to use lead bullets in the XD.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • doomsknight62doomsknight62 Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The instruction manual and warranty information that came with my HK USP says the exact same thing. What I want to know is...are the companies that make " all-metal " guns saying the same thing?

" God is in His Heaven, All is Right in the World. "
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes most Handgun as well as Rifle or Shotgun will tell you in the owners manuel do not shoot reloaded ammo.You can expect to see that with any Manufacture.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    My CZ's owners manuals state some thing to the effect of "ammunition handloaded by competent individuals to saami specs is acceptable"....

rich