In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

night sights

The WizardThe Wizard Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I want to put night sights on some of my pistols. What brands are good - what are good combinations?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am planning on purchasing a set of night sights for my S&W M&P 45. Does anyone have experience with the different brands. I have it narrowed down to Trijicon, Meprolight or Ameriglo. Trijicon is the most expensive. Are they worth the extra $$. Thanks for responding.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have not ever had night sights.
    Would like to have some pros and cons
    on the subject.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the best brand / model of night sights? Looking for the best night sights to replace dead ones on a 1911. My old eyes want something kinda bright with large dots. The last set had small dots that were fairly dim when new, and just kept getting dimmer. How is the TRUGLO? Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are night sights? I saw some on a SKS, big fold up thing, how do they work.

Darrell
  • Options
    CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The darker your surroundings are the brighter they seem. Obviously you don't want to take shots in total darkness but they are great low light and shadowy areas. One thing you may want to remember is that some companies night sights glow on both sides so it's a good idea to put a dab of dark paint on the forward side of the sights so the bad guy can't see you and three glowing dots running around in the dark.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally for the money, I'm starting to become a big fan of fiber tube front sights, they work great in low light where a flashlight is in use I.E. law enforcement.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They look like regular sights during the day, and glow at night. The only caveat would be if they did glow from the front side. then take CLINTF's advice and dab em. I love em.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input.
    The pistol will be new with Sig night sights.
    How do these stack up, compared to others?

Thanks for your time----The Wizard
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are nice and bright, good sights, but then,....it is a SIG

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Meprolite on my Firestar. They are very bright in low light. I also feel that they give a better sight picture in daylight.
    John

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks--but I have been told Siglite
    night sights were considered among
    the best.
    Comments?
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    I have a set of meprolights on my carry gun (glock). They are very bright in low light situations. I have heard Trijicons are very good also. There is also a sight system called Xpress sights...here is their website...maybe worth checking them out.

http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com/

If the Info you have gotten is from Sig, then they will tell you the sig sights are the best obviously...it all depends the configuration that you are most comfortable with. Do some research and see what fits your needs best.

I would say that weather you go with meprolights, trijicons, express sight systems, or the Siglights...either choice will be a quality one.

Good luck.

by the way...the work just as well during the day...look for a sight that has a bright white ring around the gas tube to aid in day time shooting. Meprolights have a thick outline where as trijicons have a bit thinner of an outline.
  • Options
    RDTRDT Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I them on a Beretta and a Kimber. They are worth every penny. They do great in low light but also are easy to see (no glow)in day light.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One last thing on this subject----
    Do night sights dim and eventually
    have to be replaced?---Thanks

J. D. S.