In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

South African Police Shotgun

pladsplads Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a Single sot 12?ga which breach loads by lifting a breach cover of sorts. It is stamped Braendolin and Albini with a patent number under it. ON the barrel it is stamped H.Holland 96 Newbond St. and is marked with a 25. The brass buttplate is marked with "SA" and the number 321 as well as a crown. There is a similiar crown stamped on the barrel near the number 25. Trigger guard is also brass as wellas tne trigger mechanisms bolt guides. It appears that in the foregrip there should have been some sort of rod. The number (or date) 1867 is stamped on the side of the receiver. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    plads: There are over a Dozen Breech Loading Single Shot Rifles made for export into and from South Africa in the late 1880's and into the early 1930's ...Some were made on the Enfield Musket and Others made from the Snider Patent and The Storm Patents..Then comes the SOPER Patent Breech Loader, the BENJAMIN'S PATENT, The RESTALL's Patent. There is also the EARLY Needle Rifle and the CORNISH PATENT and at least another 7 or so that I hav'nt listed...So I can't be presumptive and say that it was any one of those I mentioned...A Photo is what's needed here..You could have an Enfield converted to Breech Loader and called the ZULU...But until a complete and comprehensive discription is tendered or a photo is Posted...I can't be of much further Help at this juncture...Best...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again C-K. I'll proide a picture and more detail in a fortnight. You have at least confirmed(?) thatit is South African or at least sounds like it is.plads
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This Braendlin-Albini has "patent" stamped below the Braendlin-Albini and "No 2499" stamped below that. on the side of the barrel at the breech end it starts with "W.T" with a crown above it. then comes "25" stamped upside down then a heavy/deep stamp/set of punch marks with "W.T" stamped above. just past the deep punch mark is a V marked sideways with a small barrel mark above it(further along-since the V is sideways). then comes another upside down 25 followed by a sideways P (the P lying on its back facing up) with another barrel mark further along by the P.Where the breech plate closes there is a flat spot on the top (where the breech plate and the reciever meet, and the two flat areas have the letter V stamped on them with a small mark aabove them. On the right side of the breech plate near the hinge is a mark like crossed lines with what appears to be W's hanging from them (like flags). The letter B is stamped below in the crux of the crossed lines.W.T is stamped again on the receiver near where the bolt from the other side finishes. There is a crown stamped above the W.T. I have been led to beleive the crown is the Kings crown rather than a queen's crown.
    I have seen another of these but the forestock went to the end onthat one and had a bayonet and push rod. This one only has 1 barrel band and the stock finishes approximately 2.5 inches after the band and there is a groove in it which appears to be for the push rod. I'd guess that mine has been cut down with the other barrel band removed. The barrel is 30 inches long from the fore end of the breech. There is a groove in the top of the breech plate hinge which appears to be the rear sight groove. There is a bead sight on the end of the barrel which is brass. 1867 is stamped on the reciever which has a double line engraved along its edge following the contours of the receiver. the breech plate handle (which points to the right) has the letter B stamped behind it with a circle around the B. Inside the breech on the breech plate face above the firing pin the number 138 is stamped. Also carved on the flat part of the stock in front of the reciever there is the cross with the W's on them (or flags) with the letter B in the crux below the cross. S is stamped into the handle portion of the brass trigger guard. W.T is stamped into the stock twice along the bottom edge and I note a hole in the stock where a sling mount would go. (Starting to looked a bit adulterated). A large S with arrows up and down above it and below it (respectively) is stamped on the left side of the butt srtock.
    has this helped identify it's origins and it's use. what about current numbers/availability and or value.