In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need info on H.Schmidt revolver

ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a single action 22LR revolver.It's marked H.Schmidt Ostheim/Rhoen made in W.Germany HS model 21S.Does anyone have any information on this gun?

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    My database says Herbert Schmidt, Ostheim/Rhon, West Germany.
    <Liberty 11>....22 L.R.R.F., Double Action, Swing Out Cylinder, Blue.....In Shooting Condition....$50.00...

<Texas Scout>. .22 L.R.R.F., Western Style, Blue....In Shooting Condition.....$50.00...
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes indeed , Capt. was correct ... we have sold a zillion of these over the years , good plinkers (in good working cond.), made and sold new in the 60's,70's &80's...not exspensive ....
    Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

p.s. Good luck if you need parts ??? a blast to find the correct ones (they made several variations of these guns???).......
  • Options
    bobcat67bobcat67 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would appreciate if someone could tell me where I could buy grips for the "cowboy style" .22 revolver. Thanks Bobcat
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think this is similar to one of the Hawes, Los Angeles western revolvers. I have one that has the black grips with the buffalo on them, these are different than the rosewood ones on the Hawes SAA clones. I have picked up grips for Hawes guns on GB in the past, you just have to keep looking

There is also a guy in Tombstone who makes faux ivory grips that you final fit yourself that will make a free set if you send him an original that he hasn't got to use for a mold. Haven't used him myself but it's an intrigueing proposition. I think he charges around 20 bucks if he already has the mold which isn't bad for a faux ivory grip............ Good Luck Dan R
  • Options
    ATobeyATobey Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have one of these little .22 pistols. has the black grip with the buffalo on it. i was wondering if there was anyway i could look up the serial number to find out when it was actually made??
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATobey
    i have one of these little .22 pistols. has the black grip with the buffalo on it. i was wondering if there was anyway i could look up the serial number to find out when it was actually made??

One component of the West German proof mark(s), is a two digit date. Provide quality photos or give us a detailed description of all markings on the revolver, for DOM.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by ATobey

One component of the West German proof mark(s), is a two digit date. Provide quality photos or give us a detailed description of all markings on the revolver, for DOM.

i cant provide photos as i dont have a camera to do so.
    on left side of barrel is Hawes Fire Arms CC. Los Angeles California
    on right side is H Schmidt Ostheim/Rhoen Made In W. Germany
    on top of barrel is HS Model 21S
    on bottom of barrel and in front of trigger guard is numbers 605090
    on left side under the cylinder is HS in a circle and the # 74
    the cylinder does not drop off the side. it stays in to load and unload. it has a small 'door' that drops to the side and from there you can load and unload it. to load you half cock the hammer and put in one round at a time while turning the cylinder by hand. to unload you have to half cock the hammer and then with a small rod that is spring loaded and attached to the barrel you push out the spent cartridges. it is only single action. i don't know what else to say, i think i covered everything i can. sorry i can't include any photos.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be other small markings next to the #74, which are additional German proofs. 1974 is most likely the actual date of proof though. The Germans either used a two digit code, or a two digit number for a proof date. Hawes was only in business during a short time from the early 70's to the early 80's, importing and selling guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    There should be other small markings next to the #74, which are additional German proofs. 1974 is most likely the actual date of proof though. The Germans either used a two digit code, or a two digit number for a proof date. Hawes was only in business during a short time from the early 70's to the early 80's, importing and selling guns.

the only marking next to the 74 is a hs in a cirlce. it's a simple little six shooter. my dad says when he bought the gun in the late 70's he paid 30 dollars for it at a gun show. less than the sling he also bought for it.
    i am trying to get pictures. i hope to have them soon.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobcat67
    I would appreciate if someone could tell me where I could buy grips for the "cowboy style" .22 revolver. Thanks Bobcat

If it is a Herbert Schmidt type such as sold by FIE as the model E-15, then the black plastic grips w/buffalo on them should be correct. And there are usually some on the auction side.
    There were also some plastic grips that were made to look like wood. I have a spare set of these.
    Also, w/minor fitting, the wood grips from the current Heritage revolvers will fit.
    As for the guy in Tombstone. I think you are refering to the guy who's company is called "Tombstone grips". But he's actually in Washington state.