In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 Rem Rimfire Auto/ Remington Model 16

325325 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at a Remington Model 16 semi-auto rifle. The caliber marked is .22 Rem Rimfire Auto. Is this a standard .22 long, long rifle? Or was it a magnum .22 round of sorts? The big question is rather ammunition is obsolete or still available for this rifle. Thank you for your help. Brad

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, bro- bad news for ya. SIMILAR to, but not the same as, the .22 Winchester Auto, this was an early smokeless round. No, not the same as .22 LR, and to the best of my knowledge, does not swap with any other .22 rimfire. See Cartriges of the World under .22 Remington Auto.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    11b6r has this nail. the rem.22 auto is slightly larger in dia. than a .22 l.r. and shorter. ammo hasn't been made since at least the 1950's
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I found this note tucked away in a corner of my hard drive. It's not my work but I did correct the spelling:

.22 Remington Auto

It's meant to ONLY shoot 22 Remington Automatic shells. They are similar to a LR but tapered (larger to the base). The development of autoloading rifles was made possible by the invention of smokeless powder. The 22 variation was designed so that the black powder shells of the day where not interchangeable. The 22 Winchester and 22 Remington automatic cartridges are NOT interchangeable. Each company wanted to benefit from their OWN ammo sales. People have tried to shoot 22 LR with very poor results. Even more disastrous is when black powder shells or Lessmoke where shot in these. The Remington guns where not as popular as the Winchester and sales where poor. Obvious that is why you don't see many. At a dollar/shell it can be expensive to shoot. Ammo has not been produced since the late 1930's - early 40's.The lack of ammo has also kept the price of the guns down.

Best.
  • Options
    325325 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the information. I toyed with the idea of sleeving the barrel for .22 long rife. With the original round being shorter I don't think the action would work. I nice rifle but I can't afford wall hangers.
  • Options
    TelegrapherTelegrapher Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ammo is expensive, but available. Would you be interested in selling the rifle?
  • Options
    TelegrapherTelegrapher Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention that if you want to sell the Remington 16, you can go to the ads and put in for sale...