In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage Model 12

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the various types of this Savage model? I've never been a Savage fan, but I may have to reconsider. I'm looking for a "bench" gun for my own amusement, not any organized competition. I'm thinking of the .308 win. as I'm already set for that cartridge (reloading). I would like to think that the gun, with proper reloads, would shoot well under 1 MOA. Comments please!!!!! HAWKSHAW

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have (let me see if I get all the initials correct) a Savage 12BVSS in 300 WSM. Basically a 308 length shell with a little extra oopmph, shoots very well. I like the laminate stock, fits me pretty well and sits on sandbags very well. The Accutrigger is OK, not great but OK.

I don't think you'll have any problems getting under 1" with good bullets.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In general, the Savage short action heavy barrel rifles with the Accu-trigger will do what you are describing w/o much fooling around. I have one right now that doesn't meet expectations but is coming around with continued shooting(somewhat rough bore). Hard to beat Savage for the money but you might look at Howa as an alternative.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAWKSHAW,

Here is one for you to check out.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

click on centerfire, then target, then benchrest

They are awesome for an entry level rifle. And the barrels can be changed without much of a headache.

Best