In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

muzzle facing tools

511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
It seems some manufacturers tend not to be so concern with the impression or damage caused by the pilot of a muzzle facing tool when a barrel is made. Sometimes the rifling's edges will appear worn or nicked & some times sheer grooves from metal contamination appear on top of the rifling. So my question is, would this play on flight ballistics or not at all because of where the impression of the pilot tip rotates is in further than the bore's end?

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    YES!

The muzzle crown is critical to accuracy. This is why you should always clean from the breach end with a rod, not pull it back thru, etc. For closed breech designs (lever gun, etc) use a snake or similar.

Edit - yes, the tooling marks, etc. will all have an effect.

I'd rather have some tooling marks in the bore but have a good clean crown as opposed to a perfect bore and a nasty crown.
  • 511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AAAAAAA....... what about the pilot issue inside the bore as an attempt to make the crown? You know tooling marks or nicks?
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Face it, the best way to crown a barrel is in a lathe using a single point tool with both ends of the bore running dead true. 2 cents etc.
  • 511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything that has bearings and a motor has run out. Some worse than others. Yes, it's better to use a lathe than a hand tool but I'm concern with flight ballistics on a manufactured barrel that I didn't face or crown.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    if it has any nicks at all on the crown it will not shoot very well..
    If it looks like it has problems, send it back....
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 511pe
    Anything that has bearings and a motor has run out. Some worse than others. Yes, it's better to use a lathe than a hand tool but I'm concern with flight ballistics on a manufactured barrel that I didn't face or crown.

Most of us guys that are in it for accuracy, and have the ability to thread and install our own barrels, use a very good lathe. There is NO other better method right now!

Best