In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W "Snub-Nose"

WBachmannWBachmann Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hello everyone,
I purchased in November 2008 a second S&W. The seller told me "its a snub-nose" Revolver and a handgun for Ladies.
The barrel length is 3"., nickel-plated. The serial number is J103117.
Model 38. On the barrel Model 38 S&W SPL.
Can somebody tell me the year the gun was manufactured?
Thanks

Walt

Comments

• HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the serial number chart in Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson your model 38 revolver, sn J103117, was made in 1973.

The information about the model 38, also known as the Bodyguard Airweight, says.....2" barrel with some production of 3" barrels......

I would say you have an unusual revolver.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WBachmann
    Hello everyone,
    I purchased in November 2008 a second S&W. The seller told me "its a snub-nose" Revolver and a handgun for Ladies.
    The barrel length is 3"., nickel-plated. The serial number is J103117.
    Model 38. On the barrel Model 38 S&W SPL.
    Can somebody tell me the year the gun was manufactured?
    Thanks

Walt

A genuine 3" Model 38 Bodyguard is a very rare gun, I would presume it was not bought new in 2008 but used, yes?

Edit: So as to not burn up limited responses, swing open the cylinder and on the inside frame yoke should be a model number. If it is stamped Mod 38 on the inside yoke of the frame it could be a rare gun. I say could be because barrels can be switched. If it says Mod 36 or Mod 37 then it's not at all rare, although a nickel 3" 37 is a bit unusual, more so than a 3" 36.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walt- the barrel marking sounds more like the caliber than the model-
    quote:Model 38 S&W SPL

A model 38 is a small aluminum alloy framed 5 shot revolver with a "shrouded" hammer. Also known as the "Bodyguard" model. It should look something like this one. IF yours does not look something like that, look for the "sticky" that tells how to post photos on here-

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=274555

On the other hand, if it has the words "Lady Smith" engraved on the side plate, it is a different gun. Still a good one, just different.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walt, This picture has a "MODEL 38" Airweight on the bottom. They are called this because of the light weight alloy frame. Notice the hammer shrouded frame. You can tell the alloy frame due to its different shade unlike the top gun that is all steel.

[img][/img]50cal-smiths-randall-M60002.jpg

If your frame does not shroud the hammer you may have a 3" model 36 like the top one in this pic.

[img][/img]IMG_0006-3.jpg
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    11b6r,
    Did the Lady Smith come with J prefix serial numbers? If I read the chart correctly in Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, the J serial number prefix was only used on Models 36, 37, 38, 49 and 50.