In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Panther AP4A

kuca_2004kuca_2004 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I just recently bought a DPMS Panther Arms 5.56x45mm Panther AP4A rifle. I don't know alot about these gas chambered rifle so I have a couple questions. Do I have to do anything to the rifle before I go and start shooting it? Also what is the the red rubber looking piece in the chamber for? Does that stay in the gun when I shoot or do I have to remove it?

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since newly manufactured guns often have remnants of packing grease and/or metal filings present, its generally considered good practice to break down and clean any new gun before shooting it the first time.

Your DPMS may well be clean as a whistle already, but even assuming it is, just learning how to take your gun apart and put back together will be helpful for you, and one quick cleaning won't hurt it.

Without a picture, I can't say exactly what's in the chamber of your gun, but suffice it to say the **ONLY** thing that's supposed to be in there when firing the gun is a live round!

Anything else will either prevent a live round from going in the chamber, or worse (ie get pushed into the barrel then cause your gun to explode if you try to fire it!).

So, not knowing what it is, I'll say take the red thing out!

What is it? It may simply be an empty chamber indicator. Some manufacturers ship these with guns and you can leave them in the chamber to indicate that the gun is empty. Usually these are bright orange. Here's one in a .22LR pistol:

3938468548_90e777d895.jpg

And here's a typical rifle one:
    C1290.jpg

Last time I got a gun with one of these, when I racked the action the @#$@ing flag part broke off leaving the rod part lodged in the chamber. That deactivated the gun and ruined my shooting day. (I didn't have a cleaning rod handy to push it out). So I'm not that fond of these things!
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    At the risk of sounding like an * if you are really that unfamiliar with your firearm you should go to the range with someone that KNOWS how to operate it that can show you safely.
  • krawiechkrawiech Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    didnt the gun come with a manual if not you can go online and read a manual for that firearm or you can call dpms and im surethey will send you a manual everybody is lawsuit crazy so im sure dpms would help you anyway they could dont forget the company that owns dpms also owns remington bushmaster and a couple of others so give them a call hank k