In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope for coyote rifle

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Hello all, finally got my hands on an older ruger m77 mark II stainless zytel skeliten stock in 243 winchester at a reasonable price ( why this model is going so high I have no clue) but it's a standard weight 22 in barrel and I want to set it up for woods coyote hunting here upstate New York , getting over run with them and nobody hunts them much anymore. Wanted either a nikon buckmasters II 4-12 x 40 or a prostaff 3-9 x50mm any thoughts? Want to spend about $150.00

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the higher power scope. However lowlight performance at dawn/dusk might be a consideration.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't mean to pee in your Cheerios.[:D]

With the advent of net and gun auctions, though. Their are few sleepers to be had any more. ( I've had to many deals go south, because of the various online gun auctions). Folks selling the guns, knowing what the actual fair market prices are.

To make a long story short. Sometimes what seems to be a good deal, doesn't turn out like you want it to. Take the rifle out and shoot it, before you put any more money into it. A varmint rifle should be minute of angle accurate, out to 200 at least. Make sure the Ruger is, with the ammo you intend to use in it.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not get a steal of a deal at $525.00 97% cond with rings I just refused to pay the $700-$850 used ones are fetching here.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use quite a few of the pro staffs and they all have held up very goodl. I'm a big bore fan so they see some heavy recoil
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deerhntr
    Hello all, finally got my hands on an older ruger m77 mark II stainless zytel skeliten stock in 243 winchester at a reasonable price ( why this model is going so high I have no clue) but it's a standard weight 22 in barrel and I want to set it up for woods coyote hunting here upstate New York , getting over run with them and nobody hunts them much anymore. Wanted either a nikon buckmasters II 4-12 x 40 or a prostaff 3-9 x50mm any thoughts? Want to spend about $150.00

I have, and love the NIKON Coyote Special scope.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deerhntr
    I did not get a steal of a deal at $525.00 97% cond with rings I just refused to pay the $700-$850 used ones are fetching here.

If that is what you paid for it, it is in no way 97%...sorry to burst your bubble, but if it is that good, then you did in fact get a steal.

Use the money you saved and put a real scope on it. I have a rifle exactly like yours that I purchased new back in 1998. I paid $379.00 for it. I put it on pillars, free floated the barrel, done a trigger job, and lapped the barrel. It loves the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips on top of W-748. I have a 2nd gen Nikon BuckMaster 4.5-14x42 with the Mil-Dot reticle, on it. Any less scope, and you will not be doing justice to the accuracy potential of the rifle, and the adjustments in the lesser scopes are not as repeatable.

It really likes the Barnes 80 gr TTSX for deer, also.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back to the scope question. A 3-9x40 will handle any shooting your choice of rifle is capable of.
    I took a 243 with 3-9x40 scope on an antelope hunt years ago. After tagging out the first day, I spent the next 2 days killing coyotes. My longest hit was a measured 510 yards. If you feel the need to shoot farther than that, you'd better be looking at different equipment.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on light gathering ability of the scope. Most of the coyote hunting I have done (CO) has been before dawn or late evening. I also like an illuminated reticule set on low red light. In low light you won't be taking long shots so I use a 1.5 - 5.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My coyote rifle has a red dot, no magnification scope. All my yote shooting is within 100 yds which that scope works great for.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never shot a coyote past 200yds in NY.
    Any good 4-12 scope works fine.