In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

K98 guru's care to take a "shot"

jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a DOU44 and want to know if stock is authentic. the bolt and barrel #s match, no obliterated markings or import marks, no evidence of it being a capture rifle. The trigger/floor plate are marked only BYF so I think that's replaced. as for the stock it is almost too good condition wise for wartime gun,it doesn't look like its laminated, has the cup buttplate, sling swivel on the bottom of rear barrel band, front band is milled H type, wood not drilled for a cleaning rod and it doesn't have the large metal grommet. no markings on wood.the sling looks authentic and is very old....anyone care to venture an answer without pics?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ball has a photo of a late war 98 K in his book. It differs substantially from the one you describe.

1, Laminated Stock

2, Welded sheet metal bands. With sling swivel on side of lower band.

3, No stock washer, but there is a take down hole in the buttplate.

He doesn't mention, if the stock is marked?

I think yours, with the sling swivel being on the bottom of the rear band. Points to a non German origin.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a BYF 44 rough machining marks everywhere except the bore, the working side of the: locking lugs, trigger and striker. Laminated stock, stamped floor plate etc. Shot OK. I gave it to my nephew. I traded 20 empty ammo cans for it. 10 50's and 10 30's that were like new condition.

I have a 36 S. Very nice condition. All matching #, nice milled steel with good bluing, walnut stock. Only missing the cleaning rod. I think one of my uncles brought it back. Been in the family for more than my 60 years. Shoots really good once you learn to work a 2 stage trigger.

In 44 and 45 I think they threw the rule book out as far a production standards.
  • jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
    edited November -1
    thanks guys... I thought it might be a postwar replacement stock...bummer
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re: "sling swivel on the bottom of rear barrel band"
    This statement my friend: is VERY clear evidence of a post-war Balkan rework.

Rest his soul, but Bob Balls' Mauser Rifles book is way too general & useless re K98ks - be they either early or late war.

Ignore the stock for now, but pics of ANY German markings will tell the tale here. Start w/ the action & barrel.
    If not lam, the stock is likely an ersatz native Yugo replacement made from circassian walnut. These were flat-butted, never cupped.
    edited November -1
    Ill try to figure out how to post pics tomorrow. Thanks to all your help
    edited November -1
    005%20-%20Copy_zpss6qxbyp5.jpg004%20-%20Copy_zpsvioturxr.jpg
    002%20-%20Copy_zpsoo5r8g7o.jpg
    001%20-%20Copy_zps6sorytxv.jpg
    011_zpslrd5aqd1.jpg
    010%20-%20Copy_zpsc6xwpeff.jpg
    009%20-%20Copy_z008%20-%20Copy_zps4uobgmyr.jpg
    007%20-%20Copy_zpslhdydt1c.jpg
    psrwrhzvz9.jpg
    edited November -1
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ex Israeli 98 K. Appears to be the same marking, as on your buttplate. Usually the ex Israeli 98 k's, are also marked on the receiver though. Some prior U.S. owner could have swapped out buttplates.

Interarms/Golden State, and other arms importers/distributors, imported thousands of 98 K's. From all over in the 50's. Who can say, what Bubba has or has not done to them, in the last 60+ years?

56izzy.jpg
    edited November -1
    Jetmek:
    Nice pics, & they are well worth the short wait.
    Happy to reply that only the stock is Israeli, & the nice aa block dou 44 barrelled action sitting in it appears to be intact, matching & very likely still chambered in 8x57JS.
    If you could find the correct stock set & bands for it, the restored rifle could be worth some good coin over on the auction side. Not interested myself, but PM if any help is needed w/ it.
    Will also add this: the sling appears orig WW2 German, & the value of these may surprise you.
    Thanks & G' luck.
  • RANGER03RANGER03 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the picture right above your post "might" indicate a re-chamber to 7.62...

JMHOP
    edited November -1
    Image is not native to OP's rifle: rufe-snow posted it as an example.

Somebody needs to pay a little attention .......

quote:Originally posted by RANGER03
    the picture right above your post "might" indicate a re-chamber to 7.62...

JMHOP