In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt SAA Frontier 1st Generation cont'd.

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
This is a continuance of this thread http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=670960 as they get locked after 10 replies.

You have a very nice Colt "Frontier Six Shooter" and everything looks correct as far as I can see from your pics. The side barrel markings are faint which is typical of these models due to holster wear.

Based on your pictures and description, I would place it in the $4,500-$5,500 range. Of course, a "hands-on" inspection by a Colt expert would confirm its authenticity and value.

Comments

• Options
    pazmerpazmer Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on your description, the condition in the photo's, and the LOA from Colt, you have a very nice 90% or better gun., and one in that shape from that time frame, is commendable. I would speculate well NORTH of $10k, approaching 15.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Based on your description, the condition in the photo's, and the LOA from Colt, you have a very nice 90% or better gun., and one in that shape from that time frame, is commendable. I would speculate well NORTH of $10k, approaching 15.

I'm sorry to disagree but there's no way that's a 90% gun with the worn markings and muzzle and the buggered screws. Further inspection would also be necessary. Also, unless it was a documented, US marked, military-inspected Cavalry model, it would not command that kind of money.

There's a similar model with factory letter listed on the auction side with a Buy-it-now of $4,995.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544253109

pix744265125.jpg

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544253109
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't look like a 90% gun to me, however it looks to be in fine shooting condition.

Added you would think a $5,000 to $15,000 firearm would be worth investing in some good pic's.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow this posting shows that we can have a wide wide range in estimate of value on the same item an item IF that goes for 10K I am going to sell out some of my saa group.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Wow this posting shows that we can have a wide wide range in estimate of value on the same item an item IF that goes for 10K I am going to sell out some of my saa group.

Ya got that right, Karl. Here's a David F Clark inspected Cavalry model for $4,375.00:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544707245
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess we can agree to disagree then. Yes it does have some disqualifying factors, like the bump on the muzzle, the screw heads, and some wear, I can agree to that, but the high percentage of original finish, and the grips, make it a higher percentage gun.

All things being equal, and no disrespect to the auction side, but for this SAA, the auction side is not your best bet. Private big auction houses, like RIA, and Butterfields, will certainly fetch a bit more, for an SAA this age and quality.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Yes, and their percentage is much bigger than what GB charges. The bottom line, I feel, is better here.
    W.D.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking the difference in opinion on value may hinge on whether that color in the photos is original blue, old reblue or patina. I can't really tell from these photos. I'm thinking it's not original blue based on age, obvious usage and rough surface in some places. For what it's worth.

Very nice piece though, I don't mean to detract from the gun at all. Would love to have it in my collection. As we always say, if that gun could tell its stories .......
  • Options
    oakridgeoakridge Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    May just be my computer, but the frame looks blued, which is wrong. If it's been refinished with a blued frame, that really brings down the value. Some of the etch panel is visible, so that's a plus.