In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gold Cup bushing issue

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I recently picked up a 1976 Series 70 Gold Cup. I have discovered that a previously owner cross threaded one of the lower grip screws and may have stripped out the hole the bushing screws into. I've ordered some new bushings and grip screws. If that hole is wallowed out, do you have suggestions on securing the bushing?

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I recently picked up a 1976 Series 70 Gold Cup. I have discovered that a previously owner cross threaded one of the lower grip screws and may have stripped out the hole the bushing screws into. I've ordered some new bushings and grip screws. If that hole is wallowed out, do you have suggestions on securing the bushing?

They make 'oversize' bushings and 'taps' for such,,,,,,,Brownell's ,,,,,,,

If you need the above let me know,,,,,,,,I need a new tap and will order one and have it shipped to you and you can send it to me when you're finished,,,,,,,,,

EDIT,,,,,,Forgot,,,,,,,I have a 'staking' tool that you can borrow to keep the bushing from unscrewing when you remove the grip screws,,,,,,

Well that is a kind offer...I already ordered some regular bushings so let me see how bad the hole is buggered up before I take you up on that offer, I'd prefer not to spend $43.99 on a tap that I will use once! [:p]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

They make 'oversize' bushings and 'taps' for such,,,,,,,Brownell's ,,,,,,,

If you need the above let me know,,,,,,,,I need a new tap and will order one and have it shipped to you and you can send it to me when you're finished,,,,,,,,,

EDIT,,,,,,Forgot,,,,,,,I have a 'staking' tool that you can borrow to keep the bushing from unscrewing when you remove the grip screws,,,,,,

Had the same problem with a Springfield 9 X 23, that I bought off CDNN years ago. Once I was able to separate the the bushing from the grip screw. Locktighted the bushing to the frame.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for the staking tool. Glue is a poor substitute. Most generous offer.