In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

May have to sell a mule

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
To fund my latest heartthrob.
A 475 Linebaugh built by John & Dustin Linebaugh
Was over in the Bighorn basin of Wyoming the other day to pick up a horse and commented about the owners last name (Linebaugh) and wondered if he was related to the John Linebaugh.
Low and behold this fellow is Johns nephew and he proceeds to show me the pistol that his cousin Dustin (Johns son) had built for him.
A 4-5/8 hexagon barrel with Bighorn sheep horn grips, nothing too fancy but functional and unique. I was offered to run a cylinder, but unfortunately didn't have the time, but will in May when I head back over.
Looking at ballistics, looks like damn good bear medicine. I have had a Freedom Arms Mod 83 454 Casull since back in the last century and have been very happy with its performance, so I had never even looked at any of the other big bores, seems times have changed and I like it.

Any of you have experience this chambering?

Posted on GD forum also.
Mule

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you load for it might be ok. Short barrel hand cannons suck to shoot IMHO.

added I don't like ported pistols either. I had a 626 6" I gave away because I couldn't get threw a box of shells. I can run 500 threw my 10 5/8 29's with no issues. When I'm trained up and can see one gallon milk jugs at 200 meters more often than not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

I have shot a magna-ported 7" and 10", I will take my 6" with hot loads over those ported wrist jammers. There is a definite difference between rocking recoil and straight back rifle type in a pistol, JMO.
    When I get it, you can be assured it will be loaded as hot as John Linebaugh deems safe.

Mule
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

+1

If you do decide to get one? Have it chambered in .460 S & W, so you can also shoot .45 L.C.,.454 Casull.

Was at a range years ago when a novice first shot a custom, short barreled, Linebaugh. It got away from him, so bad. That the front sight impacted his forehead. He lost a substantial amount of blood. Range master had to run out with paper towels, for his head. Scared the poop out of me. Though it was a ND, because of all the blood.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

+1

If you do decide to get one? Have it chambered in .460 S & W, so you can also shoot .45 L.C.,.454 Casull.

Was at a range years ago when a novice first shot a custom, short barreled, Linebaugh. It got away from him, so bad. That the front sight impacted his forehead. He lost a substantial amount of blood. Range master had to run out with paper towels, for his head. Scared the poop out of me. Though it was a ND, because of all the blood.

Thanks for your view on the option, but Nope, will be a 475 Linebaugh direct from John and Dustin Linebaugh, can already shoot 45 LC through my FA Mod 83 454 when I let the Grandkids run some through it.
    Just haven't decided whether to go with the 4-5/8" or the 5-1/2". Will know in mid May when I run a few cylinders through both, that will decide for me on length.
    I am just recovering from my my bicep tendon reattached to my elbow or I would have run a few through the 4-5/8" this past weekend. I will be good to go by mid May.

Mule