In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

870 shotgun,,,UPDATE

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
Recently,sometimes my 870 doesn't unlock after a round is fired. What exactly takes place when a round is fired that releases the slide/action to be rechambered/pumped ? Where should I inspect first?

This is shooting the 2 3/4" buckhammer slug out a fully rifled barrel,as I have hundreds of rounds. I thought it may be a few bad loads of ammo,but appearance wise,I can tell no difference in the shell between ones that unock and ones that don't.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I inspected ,found,and removed rough edges,burrs. Today was the first I've shot it since doing the maint./repair. I am very pleased to say the gun fed,fired,and ejected perfectly. The action is again very smooth. Thank you all!!!

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the 870 the dropping of the hammer and the release of the trigger should be all that is required to allow it to unlock. The recoil of the slug round may be enough to allow the hammer to bounce back to a point where it binds the bolt group. How old is the gun and has the hammer spring ever been replaced? The older ( pre-1980?) 870's were retrofitted with a different bolt and a slightly modified firing pin, at least our police weapons were, due to difficulty with double feeds and clearing them. I don't know if that may have any bearing on your problem or not.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So is it clean inside? Start with part #1 the action bar lock and the spring.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Shotguns-37896/870-41213/PartsList-34304.htm?results=All

If you pull the shotgun back into your shoulder hard with the forearm, recoil from firing might not be enough to provide the slight forward movement necessary sometimes for the lock to un-lock.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Check to make sure the action bars aren't bent slightly inward or outward.

With the forend off, lay the bolt group in it's slots on those bars and insure they align perfectly with the carrier. It should rest on them without any flexing of the bars to accommodate width, but the outer edges of the bars also shouldn't be any wider than the carrier.

Tweak the bars inward/outward slightly as necessary.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your help. I posted this same question on GD and pretty sure fideau nailed it.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=664520

Also inspected the action bar lock and gee guess what I found? Rough edges. They are now gone. Thanks again.