In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Most accurate ammo for Browning A-Bolt 300 WSM

tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
edited April 2016 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for suggestions for 180 grain 300 WSM ammo.My rifle is a Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker w/ a 24 inch barrel.I'm looking to hunt Elk and Mule Deer out to 300 yds. or so.Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best ammo in your rifle will be custom loaded just for it. As far as factory ammo. Try a box of everything you can find and see what shoots the best in your beast. I load all my own center fire ammo. Neck sized cases with bullets about .003 out of the rifling and a nearly full case of powder - sometimes even compressed.

If it has an adjustable brake that can help tune it to the ammo.

I would make sure the action is bedded correctly and all the screws are tight. A treatment with JB Bore paste is a good plan along with cleaning from the breach using a good solvent like Shooter's choice.

Good plan to shoot one bullet at everything - only one trajectory to learn that way.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    NOSLER PARTITIONED IS LOADED IN FEDERAL PREMIUM great bullet
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Charlie is right, only your gun can tell you what it wants to shoot, trial and error is the only way to discover what your gun wants. But as a 300WSM shooter I must say that if you want to shoot your 300WSM allot and have the best accuracy you will want to handload your ammo. I have a custom 300WSM Savage Striker pistol, with factory loads the gun shoots groups from .900" to 1.200", but with Norma brass, a 185gr Berger over H4350 and a CCI250 it'll shoot .300" groups at 100 yards and hold 3" groups at 600. Plus my match grade handloads cost less then basic factory.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For your intended purposes, I will tell you to look at the Federal Premium line, or Barnes Vortex line, that are loaded with the Barnes Tipped Triple shock. You can even step down to 150, or 165 grain bullets and still have more than enough power, and penetration to do what you want to do.

As a general rule, though, only your rifle can tell you what it likes best. The only way to do that is to try different loads. When ding so, do not shoot more than 3 shots, so you keep your barrel cool, and keep it clean. The WSM's are a high pressure round, and will erode the throat if shot hot and/or dirty.