In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ak-47 bolt question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited April 2016 in Ask the Experts
hello, I have a Chinese mak-90 that I bought that has a bolt problem. firing pin does not strike the primer hard enough to fire the shell. its evident that someone has altered bolt by grinder marks or drimmel ? EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKS FINE. I have another bolt from another mak-90 that I own and don't see any reason why this should not remedy the problem? fits great in the carrier and manually feeds great. but im being told that I better have it head spaced first before firing from my so called ak expert buddies. but I say, its an ak and theres no worry about a catastrophic failure! don't believe that there is so much that can happen? can you guys enlighten me and let me know if im screwing up by trying to fire this gun? thanks
redman.com1 is online now Report Post

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AKs had a reputation for slam fires with soft ,non military primers.
    I believe someone messed around to reduce slam fires by shortening the FP.
    Change the FP.
    The 223 has a fp spring but still slightly indents primers.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I personally know of no problem with swapping AK or SKS bolts. These are mass produced weapons, not manually machined to close tolerances.
    I wouldn't have the least concern about firing it with a swapped bolt and/or bolt carrier.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were mass produced with the intent of being passed out to nearly stone-age peasants around the world. I really doubt they ever intended detailed gunsmith work to be done. They probably shipped boxes of replacement parts to the front for Private Boris to swap out anything bent or broken. I'd try just swapping in a new FP. If that doesn't fix it, go for the entire bolt assembly. [:)]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    They were mass produced with the intent of being passed out to nearly stone-age peasants around the world. I really doubt they ever intended detailed gunsmith work to be done. They probably shipped boxes of replacement parts to the front for Private Boris to swap out anything bent or broken. I'd try just swapping in a new FP. If that doesn't fix it, go for the entire bolt assembly. [:)]
    My advice also. I might also go so far, after swapping bolts, to tie a string to the trigger, wrap receiver with a heavy coat, and touch off with string. Capture spent case, and observe for headspace problems.