In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Official Police 1929 - 38 SPL?

jebbarjebbar Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in Ask the Experts
I recently won an auction for a Colt Official Police advertised as .38 SPL. The barrel just says Colt Official Police .38. I know the Police Positive was offered in multiple .38 Cal rounds but thought the Official Police was only made in .38 SPL. For example, a 38 SW shouldn't chamber in a .38 SPL, but a .38 LC would, right? Only I never read of chambering int his pistol in 38 LC.
The pistol is in beautiful shape and I am inclined to be very happy with it. Just want to make sure I got what I paid for and that it is safe.

Thanks.

JB

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt was very sensitive, about using S & W's name on their revolvers. If it was chambered for .38 S & W. It would have been marked. "38 New Police". Since it isn't, it left Colt as a .38 Special.

You don't know what some previous owner might have done though? I have seen way to many bubbaed guns over the years. If some guy years ago, had a bunch of .38 S & W ammo. He wanted to shoot. Likely he wouldn't thought twice, about reaming the chambers.
  • jebbarjebbar Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe! This is very helpful. I don't think this one was bubba-ed. It looks too well taken care of otherwise, but I'll bring it by a local shop that specializes in older pistols and ask the owner if he'll have a look.

JB
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    just to note, 'some' .38 special revolvers WILL chamber 'some' .38 s&w ammo.