In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Early Colt Commander in 9mm

jebbarjebbar Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in Ask the Experts
I inherited a Colt Commander in 9mm ~ early 50s manufacture. From what I have learned I don't think the pistol was fired much - though there are handling marks. Everything appears to be in original condition and from what I know about the previous owner I doubt any alterations were made.

The pistol WILL NOT cycle modern target ammunition. I've tried Winchester White Box and Fed in 115 grain and it fires these rounds as a true single action pistol - just not automatic, i.e. I have to cycle the slide to clear the jammed round every time it fires.

Except when I use older ammo - I know some ammo collectors are going to weep, but part of my inheritance was a lot of old ammunition, and I've tried some of the 9mm in this pistol. It fires all the OLD 9mm without fail, but none of the new ones I've tried so far (all standard target grade American marketed - Win, Federal, Remington). I've read that older 9mm were spec'ed to a hotter load. Is this true? I'm going to try tome European brand ammo this weekend. Should I expect better results?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really hard to tell from here what is going on. What exactly is the ammo that functions properly in your pistol. I would take it apart to clean and lube it properly.

Older ammo can be corrosive primed and you need to clean for that if they are.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm wondering if the recoil spring is for the .45? I'd look for replacement springs from Wolff.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    all good answers above but also try ammo with heavier weight Bullet . They will give more recoil impulse
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that we may be missing something.

It may help if you could post photos of your gun, both assembled & "exploded" with all parts in their relative position. And, I'd like to see the ammo. If it won't function properly with White Box ammo, the problem has to be with the gun.

Have you looked closely at the chamber? Polished it with J-B Bore Paste?

Neal
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    My money is on the recoil spring. At first glance I would think ejector but that would not account for the old ammo working properly.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    You'd have better luck here if you described the exact condition of these stoppages rather than simply saying the pistol 'jammed'.

Malfunction diagnosis revolves around analysis of the failure conditions, so absence of detailed information will only get you people's best guesses.