In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Peters .38 Spl 158 gr lead ammo I.D.

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in Ask the Experts
Peters box carried No. 3844 on box end under cal id.
Was this 38-44 high speed loading or just the item designation ?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    smith and wesson made a single action Pistol in the late 1800's called a # 3 single action target they made a cartridge that fit it in 44 and another two additional cartridges 38/44 & 32?/44 I have had all three Calibers but sold my 32/44 There were at least 2 different loadings
    of the 38/44 I was lucky enough to haveKASEY "locust fork" intervene on my behalf and am the owner of 2 full boxes one of each loading one marked TARGET and the other GALLERY if you look at a loaded round at first you think they are empty but are actually loaded with target nose of bullet flush with case mouth and gallery load recessed by about 3/8 inch below the case mouth this model of pistol held the record in Bulls-eye shooting for many years If I can find them I will post a picture of my boxes of ammo and maybe the pistols that shot them if you want a picture just click on my user name and send me a message then I can reply to your message with pictures I know are in my computer but not on photo bucket
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got this off GOOGLE images. The Peters 38-44 ammo is head stamped "H-V".

38-44009.jpg
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brass wasn't marked HV so I assume the item no 3844 was just that, an item number or maybe it was intentional to suggest this standard load was powerful.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The 38-44 was around before the 357 was factory loaded. 38 special caliber on a 44 N frame, later known as the model 23. I have one built in 1955 with adjustable sights and the hi polish blue, called the 38-44 Outdoorsman.
    Basically, the 38-44 load is a 357 load in a 38 special case.
    W.D.