In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ar bolt ejector height

lock stock and barrellock stock and barrel Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a bcg which has a spider simble on it. the bolt has a ejector that is 1/16 higher than the rim of the bolt. this bolt also does not strip rounds off the mag properly and jambs the case before chambering. I have switched bolts and bcg's and the problem stays with this bolt. is the bolt goofy or the ejector too high??? what about this brand??
It is not the carrier, the mags, the guns , or the operator.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lock stock and barrel,

I disassemble about 90 of these a month and every one has a chamfer around the upper edge and the ejector sits even with the lower portion of the chamfer.

AR15_Bolt.jpg

If yours is sitting 0.062" proud then I think you found your problem.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, does this take a special tool to disasseble?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Usually just a roll pin punch for the ejector and a standard punch for the extractor.

I hold the bolt in a vise with padded jaws so I can access both pins. Tap out the ejector roll pin while keeping your finger over the ejector to keep it from launching across the room and then just push out the extractor pin.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info
    I pulled the ejector pin and the roll pin which was sort of holding it in was half gone.
    new roll pin ... all fixed thanks this was too easy,....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lock stock and barrel,

There are many fixes in gunsmithing that don't actually require the expertise of a gunsmith in order to accomplish them. With good directions, sometimes some reading or even a video, can help most folks solve the easier problems and save some money while they're at it.

The best part though is the gratification which comes from solving and executing the solution on your own.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the rifle!

Best.