In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win. 06 rear site removal?

asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Ask the Experts
The site on the gun is an old "Marbles" that appears to be "tapped" into the slot where the orig. site should be. Anybody know if it's simply a matter of tapping it our of the slot? And if so from which direction? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure it doesn't have a locking screw with the head hidden in dried crud. A brass drift punch that has a flat on one side applied to the left side of the sight driving to the right, looking down in shooting position is what I would try first. A good penetrating oil like Kroil applied the day before couldn't hurt. Securing the action in a padded vice is a good plan. The flat on the punch is towards the flat at the bottom of the tapered dovetail.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    charlie-Much appreciated. Took about 45 seconds after soaking[^]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the Marbles look like it is period correct? If so, it could be OEM, as If I am not mistaken, Winchester, sometimes used their sights too.

EDIT 1

The screw in the rear sight, loosens, and you can adjust the little slide plate with the "v" in, most likely for finer elevation adjustment. I can't imagine a screw in the sight having anything to do with the firing pin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It certainly is an older site. Has a "Marbles, Gladstone Mich. USA" stamp on it. What would be a normal "V" at the rear is almost a peep style not quite coming together at the top with a very small V at the bottom. Also has a screw in that piece which I can't figure out it's purpose? Two piece with the normal serrated adjustment arrangement.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad I could help.

I think the screw you ask about is one of 2 Firing Pin screws #44 on the list.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Winchester-33573/Rifles-42602/1906-40297.htm?results=All

The sight could be a special order item, I think Winchester installed Kings, Lyman, and Marbels if you paid extra. Semi Buckhorn is a common style, maybe yours is (full) Buckhorn.

http://www.marblearms.com/rear-sights-.html

added The only screws I have seen in sights are a locking one that goes into the dovetail or the one that holds the reversible U or V notch. Pictures of what you have might help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie-Once again your knowledge and sharing it is appreciated. Was it a common thing for the "firing pin stop screws to come out? Thus the "extra" one screwed into the rear of the Marbles. I have one missing and I'll see if the one in the Marbles fits! Thanks again.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    The firing pin stop screws on Winchester 1890's and 1906's do tend to come loose and are easily lost.

The odds of a special order Marbles sight on that rifle are about 1 in a million.