In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 870 20 Ga.

WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
edited May 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have an older Remington 870 20 gauge built on the 12 gauge frame before the introduction of the LW 20 gauge series. I'm looking for a replacement barrel, I currently have a full choke on the shotgun and would like to find a modified or improved cylinder choke for it.

Could anyone tell me if there is a certain code to look for on the older 20 gauge barrels that where built to go on the 12 gauge frame?

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old rule on thumb. "A quarter will pass through the barrel band"
  • SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Briley.com.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cut and pasted good luck finding one. "The 'X' at the end of the serial number indicates a full sized 12 gauge frame, not a reduced size 20 gauge. Production on the full sized 20 stopped in 1979, and extra barrels can be hard to find as they are specific to the frame size. "

added I'm not sure of the collectable aspect of a large frame unit but I'd bet it goes down if you alter it. Used 870's are often very reasonable in price perhaps acquire a LW unit in the barrel(s) you seek.

I like the screw in chokes. My 870 Express and my H&R topper share 5 or 6 choke tubes which is very handy. It can be a DIY project if you rent the tools.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    Old rule on thumb. "A quarter will pass through the barrel band", yup, been down that road, much easyer to have choke tubes put in.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hone out the choke, if you don't want to go the screw in choke tube route.

Had a full choke Model 12, made in the 50's. When steel shot came out, a previous owner. Opened up the choke to improved cylinder.

If you can't find a gunsmith to do it. Check Brownells to see if the carry them, ( barrel hones). Do it yourself.
  • tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 270 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send barrel to Carlsons Choketubes in Atwood ,KS 785 626 3700.You won't be disappointed.
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch for "standard" weight 20 gauge barrels. I have a complete set for my 1100 by watching GunBroker and the other website that rhymes with bay.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a full set for my 20ga 1100 too, including a "lunchbox" Skeet barrel, and the slug barrel. The slug barrel alone is worth more than the gun itself!
    Your 870 as noted is a "Standard Weight", and 20ga Model 58 barrels will interchange on it.
    http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/rem870barrels.htm
  • WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
    edited November -1
    Thank you all.