In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powhatan Arms 16 gauge single shot Richmond VA

metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Ask the Experts
Anybody have one that can give me measurements of the firing pin and retainer screw .Dial caliper measurements of length and diameters.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A quick Web search suggests that it was made by Crescent arms.
    If you can post a picture someone with the same gun marked with another trade name can help you.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't get an answer, I have used clay to make an impression of the firing pin. Spray the hole with a release agent like WD-40. Take a "worm" of clay with a strand of thin copper wire or string inside, Press it in, then stick the action in the freezer for several hours to harden the clay. Pull out with the wire or string. Or heat up a section of thinned to approximate diameter plastic coat hanger and force the soft plastic into the hole.

Thread pitch will likely be some odd ball gun size that you will not find at the hardware store. Hot plastic rod technique works better for screws to get a thread idea. I would just drill and tap to the next common size for cheap truck guns.

You can look at firing pins in the schematic. I made several single barrel shotgun firing pins out of an aircraft bolt with a file and an eggbeater drill as a kid.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Crescent-33192.htm

also look at Stevens, H&R, and Iver Johnson's for pattern/parts
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've checked all the normal sources for parts ,shotgun belongs to a friend and it was missing firing pin and retainer screw.I hoped someone would have the actual parts to measure .I know the screw thread is obsolite but thats no problem to modify .
    I'm a machinist of 30 years so making the replacements will not be a problem. Always good to try and get actual specs if possible then go reverse enginier way.
    I've got H&R shotgun and a Iver Johnson and they do not match the Crecent made shotgun.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, do not have one at hand- but I think the spelling is Powhatan (I happen to live in Powhatan County VA)

If it is marked Powhatan Arms Co, Richmond, VA, it was manufactured by Crescent Fire Arms (1893-1930). If it is marked Powhatan Pat. Aug. 11, 1896, it was made by W H Davenport Arms (1891-1910).

POSSIBLY sold by the Watkins- Cottrell Hardware company in Richmond (Their store had a big double barrel shotgun sign on the exterior- in business from 1911 to 1972)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally went and machined the parts after some blueprinting ,test fired today and blued them.

[img][/img]DSCN5053_zpsbwhkqryk.jpg[/URL]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like first class work.
  • Options
    edited November -1