In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

98 Mauser Safety Hard to Engage, take two

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
bvshooter:

Lots of info on-line about this fittament issue with Mauser custom safeties. Bueller and Mark II types

Do lots of on-line searching if you are going to attempt the fix yourself. Several good articles with pictures.
Keep a heads up about the info relating to getting it correct so as the gun does not fire when the safety if flipped off.

Comments

• Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one that was impossible to engage & the lock time was VERY slow. All I had to do was disassemble the bolt & clean it out. Both problems solved. It was hard to disassemble because of the crud. I found a site online that showed how to compress the spring & then it came undone very easily.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes about taking a Mauser 98 bolt apart and cleaning and properly re-installing. Some of the Mauser 98 bolts can be re-assembled one turn short when screwing the cocking piece back into the bolt body and all appear normal but the gun will snap on a chambered round. Firing pin not protruding enough. I've never seen this one mentioned on-line.
    I had taken the Custom Mauser 98 bolt apart cleaned all then took the gun deer hunting few months later and drawed down on a Big Buck when it snapped. The Buck actually started walking closer when he heard the gun snapping. Glad he did not charge me. Still see that BIG animal in my nightmares/dreams today.[;)]

Lots of info on-line about the Mauser 98 bolts.