In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are there any H&R or Iver J specialty smiths?

boggyboggy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
Basically I am looking for a shop that sort of specializes in the old top break revolvers. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt you will find many shops that will work on 'cheap pistols' anymore - it just doesn't pay enough.

If you pay the top $ going rate you will find folks willing to work on them. Lots of the common wear/broken parts are hard to find as the stock has been used up. Parts can be made but again $$$

Shipping to and fro is often more than the pistol is worth.

I sort of learned on cheap guns, fitting parts. I often spent way more time than the job was worth. I never had to throw one in the trash (tho I felt like it at times) because I ruined it. Saw others have to do that - haste makes waste.

Good luck. H&R's were the best of the cheapies, owl heads not so much. I had a few H&R's, gave them away to new shooters so they wouldn't ask borrow my good guns.

added Cool. What does it cost to ship one both ways in general?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Charlie said, the H & R's were the best quality, and most expensive of the top breaks. The solid frame, ( non- removable side plate ). Makes them a bear to work on. Don't ask me how I know.[xx(]

Finding someone that is knowledgeable, and willing to work on them. Is a challenge in itself.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have worked on a few over the years but no shop anymore so I only work on my stuff but I can be useful for information and I still have some parts left that I sell from time to time. as stated most smiths don't work on them due to costs and liability.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    boggyboggy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the responses!
  • Options
    buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boggy,
    Let me begin by saying that I am not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination. I started restoring the old revolvers after I retired from the USN. During this time I have worked on many of the Iver Johnson, H&R, Hopkins & Allen, etc., top-breaks and solid frames. I have also amassed a large supply of parts for these revolvers, as well as other models.
    I am in full accord of what the gentlemen said about working on these older revolvers. I do it because it is a hobby, and not my livelihood. I always said that if I were a gunsmith, I would have starved to death long ago.
    Currently, I have a number of gunsmiths, both locally and country-wide that send me guns of these type for repair, or refer their customers to me. I can honestly say that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but after working on these revolvers on a daily basis, even an old codger like me can learn something.
    As Charliemeyer007 stated, the parts for these older revolvers are drying up. I am fortunate enough to have a large inventory of parts, although not all inclusive.
    If anyone wants to contact me, my email address is ronmar68@comcast.net. Thank you!
    Ron (buttplate)
    BMCM USN Retired
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buttplate
    Boggy,
    Let me begin by saying that I am not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination. I started restoring the old revolvers after I retired from the USN. During this time I have worked on many of the Iver Johnson, H&R, Hopkins & Allen, etc., top-breaks and solid frames. I have also amassed a large supply of parts for these revolvers, as well as other models.
    I am in full accord of what the gentlemen said about working on these older revolvers. I do it because it is a hobby, and not my livelihood. I always said that if I were a gunsmith, I would have starved to death long ago.
    Currently, I have a number of gunsmiths, both locally and country-wide that send me guns of these type for repair, or refer their customers to me. I can honestly say that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but after working on these revolvers on a daily basis, even an old codger like me can learn something.
    As Charliemeyer007 stated, the parts for these older revolvers are drying up. I am fortunate enough to have a large inventory of parts, although not all inclusive.
    If anyone wants to contact me, my email address is ronmar68@comcast.net. Thank you!
    Ron (buttplate)
    BMCM USN Retired

Thanks for the heads-up! Wish I was aware of you, couple of years ago.