In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEF Pardner breech lock doesn't hold

minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
Friend called me a bit ago and said he had been given one today, and was advised that it not only kicked like a mule [:D] but would break open on it's own after being fired. (reason it was a gift) [:0]
He said it locks up tight, and the action works like it should when dry fired, but hasn't shot it yet. I asked him if it might be dirty and he said it looked good. He knows how to keep one clean and oiled, but not much more. He lives 1000 miles away from me so I'm not much help.
I've never worked on one, and had to tell him to take it to a smith. He's basically broke, so that idea didn't go over real well.
Anybody got any ideas?

(beyond telling him it's good for fast reloads) [:)]

it's a 12ga

Thanks guys. I haven't been able to reach him, but will pass on your advice asap.

I love old pokestocks, usually you can't kill em, but when they do get problems... [:0]

My dad somehow acquired (think he traded a couplethree chickens for it) a 12 ga IJ Champion that the forearm would f!y off of when discharged, which with IJ's system the only thing holding the gun together was the breakdown lever! [:0].
(iirc, the guy who got it next simply taped it together)

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Liability is a major factor, for the firearms companies nowadays. Because of this, they are very sensitive when their guns crap out. They definitely don't want to get sued, by some sleazy Philadelphia lawyer.

Even though he's not the original owner. Have him call up customer service, of who ever makes them nowadays. They hopefully, will have him ship it back. So they can fix it, to make it safe.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure who or what H&R is now, and it's doubtful they will fix for free prior named versions, however some parts are still around from them.

http://www.hr1871.com/Brandtransition/

The mechanism is really simple. Putting it back together is much easier with slave pins - cut off rounds nails the right size is what I use. I drilled a small hole under the butt plate to store them in each one I have owned or worked on.

Remove the forearm, then the barrel. Next the butt plate, then the butt stock.

The pins have little flukes on the end, drive them out from the other end, put them back in the same place they came out with the flukes where they were. Looking at the diagram I would drive the pins out to the left from the right side as determined be looking at the action from the shooting position

Taking it apart and putting it back together for cleaning isn't all that hard. Figuring out why it's not working properly if cleaning didn't fix it is harder. Could be Bubba already fixed it, a weak/broken spring #22, the barrel catch #2 and spring #3, a burr on the bc or the notch in the barrel, bent release lever #23, wrong barrel for the action.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/new-england-firearms/pardner-single-shot

I'm sure there is at least one good vid on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGxnI2zJH6c

My grandpa often said there was nothing wrong with being poor, it was just mighty inconvenient at times. He also told folks he was working on his second million first because he heard that one was easier.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try de-greasing the parts where it locks up.

I think maybe it's mentioned in some of the owners manuals to NOT OIL OR GREASE the area of the lockup latch and the barrel catch.

I've seen them open when firing and de-greasing cured such if nothing else was the cause.

edited:
    I was thinking rifle and you now indicate it's a 12ga shotgun.

Better have a gunsmith check it out. Sounds like it's had a rough life.[;)]
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    lock part might not be engageing notch is it a newer one or older ??might need a bit of dremal work to the barrel notch
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    must confirm lockup is good and barrel release lever is up all the way, seen many over the years where the lever is not up all the way because lockup is not complete, needs better fitting to barrel, also seen debris in the lockup area from hunting in brush. clean it real good too.
    kicking like a mule is another issue that can cause lever to release barrel lock. you failed to tell us what gauge/caliber we dealing with.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend let me shoot his with some reloads of mine. Shooting from a bench rest the action opened up during firing. Thought at first maybe I had accidently touched the release lever during recoil causing it to unlock the action. So fired it once more and it did the same thing. That was enough for me. Explained the problem to my friend and soon afterwards my friend sold it off at a local gun show.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tell him to try using low brass 2 3/4" shells that should be less recoil and he should feel the difference.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should