In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester short Rifle

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
In my search for a short barrel Winchester I often find the claim the gun was returned to Winchester and Winchester installed a short barrel. I would think there would be some kind of proof that the work was actually done by Winchester. Is there a way other than the common measurements being correct?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I need to make myself a little more clear as to what I am asking. With no actual records from Winchester how could one prove the barrel change was made by Winchester? Do you really own a short barrel Winchester even if the company made the change?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm not a Winchester collector but even if the company made the barrel change and it was documented, the resulting rifle would have far less value (to me) than one which left the factory in its original configuration. With that said, no matter who did the barrel change, the rifle would lose its status as a Curio and Relic and become a short barreled rifle subject to all of the restrictions of the National Firearms Act. That alone would cause it to lose value in the eyes of collectors.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are ways to tell if Winchester changed the barrel or someone else did it... but I am not going to publish that for the whole world to see, as there are dishonest people out there that would love to know what they are doing wrong.

I will respectfully disagree with Mark. If it can be proven that Winchester reworked a specific gun, it will have minimal effect on the collector value of the gun. That stated, verified documentation or positive proof is a must.

The vast majority of Winchester's lever-action "Short" rifles have barrel lengths longer than the federal minimum of 16-inches, and are therefore not subject to the NFA regulations. The most common "Short" rifle barrel length is 20-inches. Additionally, swapping the factory original barrel on a C&R eligible Winchester with another genuine Winchester barrel does not exclude it from C&R status. The BATF has cleared a lot of them over the past number of years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have ask for any proof the barrel change was made by Winchester and the barrel is 20 inches long and looks right but also a lot of money.

Without some kind of proof I will just walk always.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is the answer I received from the seller. Madis explains it in his Winchester book. This one has the factory proof mark as shown in his book. I guess there is no paper work pertaining to this particular gun , just has the right proof mark.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dodge69
    Here is the answer I received from the seller. Madis explains it in his Winchester book. This one has the factory proof mark as shown in his book. I guess there is no paper work pertaining to this particular gun , just has the right proof mark.

You should not use what Madis published as "the gospel". What Model are you looking at, and can it be researched (lettered) by the CFM? If it is too late of a serial number to be researched/lettered, the proof mark on the barrel means nothing in regards to it being replaced by Winchester.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was a 92 32-20. I was told it had a no return policy anyway and I hardly every by something no matter what on line with a no return policy. Makes no difference any way a member of his country club made a down payment on it. I more than likely am better off anyway. I do thank everybody for your help. Could be I need to stay away from the short ones
  • Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dodge69,

If you are looking for short barreled 1892's I will be glad to help you out. As Bert mentioned there are little things that need to be checked and the first +/-380,000 Model 1892 rifles are listed in the original factory ledgers which can be checked by the Cody Firearms Museum for authenticity.

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are better off without it. If it is not papered, then the work could have been done by anyone. And just so you know, there are companies out there that sell factory correct proof stamps. Not all Winchesters were proof stamped.

I am not saying to believe nothing from Madis, but believe very little from his ramblings.