In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recommendation on hand gun scope

BlackPowderJamBlackPowderJam Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
I purchased a 460 revolver and would like to scope it, not 100% if I should go with Leupold as I have done on my riffles. Do you have a recommendation of a scope/brand ? I was thinking a fix scope would be best but maybe I'm incorrect in that thinking. The ranges I would be working in would be under 200 yards. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Smith 460 topped with a Leupold 4x28 and it looks and functions well. Although only about 30 rounds through but .
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I highly recommend the Leupold M8 2X scope. It has served me very well on my Ruger Super Redhawk - http://chuckhawks.com/leupold_2x20_EER_scope.htm
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good results with Burris pistol scopes. 2-7X on a couple hunting revolvers and a 3-12 on a contender in 7mm-08. High end of the power scale needed to be on sandbags.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be interesting to see how the mounts hold up. That pistol is a little lighter than my 45-350 Rem Mag rifle. The guy that had it build by PO Ackley had to go to 10-32 hardened screws because the original 6-48 and the 8x something would shear quickly from the recoil. I don't know if he epoxied it on also. I went to full Lyman peeps and have shot 1000 of rounds with no issues. Although I did splinter the factory laminated stock with 540 grain loads. Most people will only shoot it once.

I had a scoped XP-100. With a neck strap I could do good work, took a while to use to cross hairs moving about that I don't see as much with iron sights.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2009/6/16/sw-460xvr-optics-and-ammo/

My 29's have 1/10" sights adjustable at both ends on a 10 5/8" barrel gallon milk jugs a 200 yards is easy enough, when I'm trained up.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert-Right on. Have the same scope on my Ruger 44 mag. (my meat gun). Killed at least 20 deer with that combo.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a new at the time Baush & Lomb 2X extended eye relief pistol scope on my Ruger Mk I 22LR pistol and it worked just fine with a good field of view for shooting at 50 yards. Accuracy with mini-mags was about five shoots into less than one inch. I've also used Burris 2X pistol scopes on a single shot 357 mag and a Remington XP100 (way too loud a report in 221 fireball) and they worked well. Never hunted with any of them just target shooting. I also felt strongly that a rifle was a lot better choice for hunting under any conditions.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been plinking around with pistol scopes myself, and plan on putting one on a 460 also. I've always been a Leupold guy, and the variables seem to have a larger objective than a fixed power. I shot a Burris such as carbine 100 mentioned and really really liked it. It had a bigger objective and made the target a bit easier to see. Scopes on pistols are nothing like using one on a rifle....Good luck, and let us know what you choose and how you like it. I'm a little while behind you..
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The 2-7 Burris is as good as it gets, that extra power will come in handy at times..
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackPowderJam
    I purchased a 460 revolver and would like to scope it, not 100% if I should go with Leupold as I have done on my riffles. Do you have a recommendation of a scope/brand ? I was thinking a fix scope would be best but maybe I'm incorrect in that thinking. The ranges I would be working in would be under 200 yards. Thank you.

I have a bunch of T/C Contender and Encore pistol barrels - 350 Rem Mag, 45/70, 375 H&H, 405 Winchester, 8mm Mauser, etc and some have pretty stiff recoil. Burris, Leupold and Weaver will work well. Inexpensive scopes may do OK on rifles but not on handguns, especially a heavy recoiling one.

I prefer smaller compact, light scopes if a pistol has significant recoil. I think they tend to stay in place better. Use good mounts and maybe resin to help hold in place. Seems to have helped me.
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    I have the 14" 460. I installed the Burris 3-12 x 32 PA with Warne rings.
    Not one problem yet after 200+ rounds