In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62 X 51 Ammo Question

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
In the steel case ammo question, this was posted:
quote:62fuelie Posted
RE: the Berdan primed 7.62X51. The Radway Green British loads are corrosive, so take the necessary time and care to clean properly after use.My research has not turned up any information pointing to this as fact. I would have serious doubts that the Brits would be making corrosive ammo anytime in the last 60 years, but anything is possible. Anybody know of any solid information either way? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not corrosive.
    There is some Chinese made 7.62X51 with copper washed cases, that is corrosive, and it has the same head stamp as Radway. The difference is the copper washed cases.
    The only other corrosive 7.62X51 that I know of, was Czech made, with a PPU or NNY head stamp.
    Someone else here can probably confirm this, but my understanding is that 7.62X51 milsurp with the NATO + stamp is all non-corrosive primed, both Boxer and Berdan.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Radway Green ammo was imported in large quantities 10 or 12 years ago and most was dated late 80's to early 90's. All of it that I've seen bore the NATO cross and was non corrosive.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Czech 7.62 NATO with a "ZV 69 7.62" headstamp is corrosive. Has brass cases & the Berdan primers are 100% covered/sealed with a black lacquer. Sports 147gr FMJBT copper jackets/lead cores. Fabulous ammo, btw.
    PPU: Serbian, not Czech.
    nny (actually Cyrillic letters equal to "PPU" in English alphabet): Prvi Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice 31000, Yugoslavia (same company/address as above, only prior to Yugoslavia's breakup).
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    The only other corrosive 7.62X51 that I know of, was Czech made, with a PPU or NNY head stamp.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by b0400879
    Czech 7.62 NATO with a "ZV 69 7.62" headstamp is corrosive. Has brass cases & the Berdan primers are 100% covered/sealed with a black lacquer. Sports 147gr FMJBT copper jackets/lead cores. Fabulous ammo, btw.
    PPU: Serbian, not Czech.
    nny (actually Cyrillic letters equal to "PPU" in English alphabet): Prvi Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice 31000, Yugoslavia (same company/address as above, only prior to Yugoslavia's breakup).
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55

Absolutely right, I was thinking of two different rounds when I posted that.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1