In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gifting a firearm to someone overseas

bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any information in plain english regarding gifting a rifle to someone from overseas in either of these scenarios:

(a) The person receives the rifle in the US and takes it home as checked baggage.

(b) The rifle is sent to them via common carrier.

In either case, they would be responsible for any paperwork on their end.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You're the man who wants only facts and no opinions...right?

a) Is this person a citizen of the United Sates or a resident alien whose status allows them to be gifted the afore mentioned firearm? If not, we are finished before we get started. If yes, then the firearm can be checked with their baggage in accordance with airline rules. Keep in mind that individual airline rules vary so much that the person in question will have to contact the chosen airline for specific instructions.

b) The services of a firearms export service is required and the fees tend to run $200-$300 per item, plus the cost of shipping. The subject of exporting firearms has been covered numerous times so just type the word "export" into the GB search and you'll find a page worth of threads covering it.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    you would have to follow the rules of both seller " you" even if no money changed hands and the laws of the receiving country my find someone who is
    an importer EXPORTER do not try to do it yourself go through customs both places
  • Options
    bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This person is not a citizen or resident alien. Thank you for the info.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When i was working at a gun store decades ago, we had a customer from Sweden who was legally here temporarily come in wanting to buy a pistol. I don't remember much of the transaction, but I do remember one step of the process included getting a letter from his embassy in the process and possibly the state department. Unfortunately, I missed out on the much of the process.

I only mention this because it was possible.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you in the U.S. ? If you are in Canada you simply use Canada Post and mail the package! You will insure it against loss and will supply the receivers ID and qualifications (if required, depending on the country). No big deal.