In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is this an original finish,?

GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look at the magazine area in photo #1, it looks wavy; I think it's refinished. Most of the photos are out of focus, poorly lit, or both. There's no written description of condition, & it's being sold AS IS. He doesn't mention the presence or absence of import markings.

If you keep your expectations low enough, you will never be disappointed.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure looks good, in the photos! To good, to my way of thinking. My understanding, is most of the high serial number BH's. Went to the Chinese war lords, fighting in the various, c*i*v*i*l w*a*r*s, in the 1920's.

They were rode hard, and put away wet. Sure wouldn't look like this one, in the auction.

The only way I would buy his one, would be a hands on approval basis. Making sure it is Mauser factory original. Or getting my money back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I THOUGHT that but was over expecting on that one. Think, no, I am going to pass.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,379 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Looks like a refinish to me. In pic #7 there is a mark/scratch in the metal just above the grip. It seems to have upset the metal enough that it should have went through the finish and be white, but it is blue.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert but this is my observation: (1) The original blue was not that dark, (2) The milled out recesses in the frame always show machining marks, (3) You never see a C-96 in that good of condition, (4) The holster is refinished also. That said, it was skillfully / professionally refinished and looks good. However, in the American COLLECTOR MARKET a refinished piece has a negative value effect.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree refinished plus some modifications: 1. Ladder sight sides/slides look uneven, 2. Magazine box surface looks wavy, 3. serial numbers are unevenly struck - could be restrike to match numbers on slide and frame, and 4. where's the machine marks in the dished out regions of the frame.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't look heavily buffed to me. Sad they can't take good pictures. Their HD Military looks nice.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    It has been refinished. The original Mauser blue is on a par with Colt blue. The rear sight, the safety lever, and trigger are a few of the parts that look like translucent blue that goes deep.

It also appears on some 1910 and 1914 pistols.

The seller probably doesn't know if it's been refinished.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all- My GUT told me that and have to listen to it. But have ignored that in the past and yes, paid dearly for that lesson.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    blueing in the small pits so no