In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 878 problem????

JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
Guys,
I have an 878 that had a bent and loose left shell stop... I replaced the shell stop. cleaned, test fired, and everything seemed good... The magazine follower will not return to battery every time... I would like to remove the follower and spring, in order to clean the tube and inspect the follower and spring...
The mag. tube is staked to hold the spring retainer, spring and follower... How do I get the damn thing apart?????
TIA,
JIM.......................

Comments

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.remington.com/sites/default/files/Model 878.pdf

did the Remington instructions help ?
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the older NRA disassembly pubs, on rifles and shotguns. It has specific instructions, for the 878. Doesn't have anything about unstaking the mag tube, to access the follower and associated parts. The 878 appears to be complicated, and not easy to work on.

See if you could get access to a copy of, Brownells "Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms". It has a lot of specific info, on the older guns. As the 878 has been out of production, for going on to 60 years. It might have the info your seeking?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    If I remember correctly (????) the magazine retainer has a screwdriver slot, push the retainer down with a screw driver and twist about 90 deg.. this will line a slot in the retainer up with the 'stake' and allow it to pass
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    Google found this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtW-uw8g-8

Bob, he shows everything "except" removing the mag spring and follower.
    Worked on plenty of Model 58's that the 878 replaced, but the mag spring retainer pops right out on a 58. The mag tube is threaded to the receiver, but Remington silver soldered them to the frame.
    I've done one 878 years ago, but I seem to remember it being like Mike Wiskey does. Tried to find a pic of the retainer, and this is what Numrich shows:

93020.jpg
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave- I watched it again.. I see what you mean.. I just now looked at the schematic, and see the mag spring and retainer..I've never taken that model apart, and didn't notice the video missed that..Now, I also see he only cleaned the piston end of the tube..