In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Short barrelled shotguns

deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a, "legal" single shot shotgun with a 9 1/2 inch barrel. I am planning on shortening the stock. It has a 14 " pull and i would like a 10". Does anyone know the rules about shortening the buttstock ?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you have, SBS approval/tax stamp from the feds. I don't understand that the length of the stock. Would have any effect.

If your talking about a muzzle loader percussion shotgun. It might be legal, as far as the feds are concerned? Your dancing on thin ice as far as State and local laws are concerned.

I guarantee you 80% of the badge boys, wouldn't know the difference, between a muzzle loading percussion shotgun and a cartridge shotgun. Be very careful with your toy. Be sure you have all your ducks in row. As far as local and State laws are concerned. Cutting down the stock on a legal percussion shotgun. Making it in effect a pistol. Might not be the wisest move.

Edit #1,

Didn't notice, in my above post. That Deer Hide, the OP. Is from the great white north. Sorry about that! U.S., SBS laws, don't mean squat up there. Don't have a clue, if making a short barreled shotgun into a pistol. Would have any legal ramifications, in Canada?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not make any alteration to an NFA item without written permission from the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits.

Neal
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the gun is papered as an SBS, you can do anything you want to the stock. Pistol grip, full stock, short stock-it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Rufe pointed out, the OP is Canadian. They may complain about their gun laws up there, but shotguns have no illegal barrel length, same as handguns down here.
    Now, shortening the stock may make it into what they might consider a handgun, and Canada is very restrictive on handguns.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check your local laws
    just because you could doesn't mean you should