In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Case necks splitting during storage from corrosion

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
more info at this link: due to locked topic in the experts section.

https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?whichpage=0.56&TOPIC_ID=685785#6239929

at competition shooting and reloading.

Comments

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recently had the same issue with 300 win mag loaded with some h4350 Lots of corrosion split necks and clumped up powder some of the blue green corrosion was visible around the primers company has been notified of problem awaiting word from them
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poorly annealed case necks will always crack with extreme temperature variations. It has nothing to do with powder type or boxes it is stored in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    Poorly annealed case necks will always crack with extreme temperature variations. It has nothing to do with powder type or boxes it is stored in.

yep, but several different calibers, several different brass lots doing the same thing.

More info here at this link.
    https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=685785
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by pulsarnc
    Recently had the same issue with 300 win mag loaded with some h4350 Lots of corrosion split necks and clumped up powder some of the blue green corrosion was visible around the primers company has been notified of problem awaiting word from them
    [/quote

That is what I've seen with the H4831. I do know the H4831 will attract moisture (hygroscopic) and just a guess but suspect something similar to ammonia maybe.

]Did you contact Hodgdon's by phone, email, or ???

I've got several calibers re-loaded with H4350 and some of them are 15 years old or older of several different calibers and powder lots and not any sign of corrosion and the reloads stored and treated same as the H4831 that is corroding and I just recently used H4350 as a replacement for some H4831 in 06 reloads.

PM me or let me know what you find out from who you contacted?

Here is a link to more info about such. I placed info over at the other forum so as it would not get locked.

https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=685785
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Should have qualified my reply a bit better reloads are at a gunsmith friend of mine that reloads with me . He is in process of contacting company . Sadly the cans we used were thrown away so we don?t have lot numbers . We loaded them about 5 years ago . He recently shot a few and discovers the neck splits and a blown primer that?s when we started pulling them down and finding the corrosion . I will keep you informed of what we learn About a year ago he bought an as yet unopened 8 pound keg of H 4350
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pulsarnc
    Should have qualified my reply a bit better reloads are at a gunsmith friend of mine that reloads with me . He is in process of contacting company . Sadly the cans we used were thrown away so we don?t have lot numbers . We loaded them about 5 years ago . He recently shot a few and discovers the neck splits and a blown primer that?s when we started pulling them down and finding the corrosion . I will keep you informed of what we learn About a year ago he bought an as yet unopened 8 pound keg of H 4350

You need to warn the guy to not try and shoot ANY OF THEM that some of mine were so weak that a bullet could have stayed in the barrel when they went poof and one bullet was stuck in the riflings when unloading the gun. If another had been run in and fired it could have bursted/exploded the receiver on the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We have already pulled down all the loads from that batch of powder all were bad some more so than others