In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 43

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know what year Winchester started to factory drill and tap
for 'scope mounts?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired this rifle chambered for 218 Bee. The receiver h is drilled for a one piece scope base. How do I go about finding such a base? The receiver has 3 holes drilled and taped. Should I take it to a gunsmith and have another hole drilled? Weaver doesn't list such an item.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester43 Hornet that came with a Bausch & Lomb 8 Scope with it. It came with the scope off and I am a little confused on how I put the scope back on the gun. It has a steel flat bar with one end curved and a thumb screw. It looks to me like the curved end should go under the front mount curing upwards and the back just slide under the rear mount, line up the hole and put the thumb screw on. Only problem is the bar does not set flat against the scope bottom as you would think it should. It will get tight but just does not look right. Looks to me like the adjustments at made at the base mounts, none on the scope. I just need to know how the spring or the piece that is flat with one end curved up should be mounted.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What's a model Winchester 43 in 32-20 gonna be worth? Anybody know where to find one?

Harley
    Mountain Magic
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hawk, the mount they are talking about is not the mount I have
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the main topic is the plunger type mount, but there is mention of the spring type.
    Maybe if you showed a picture, somebody would have instructions.
    I know my FLG is a big fan of B&L external adjustment scopes.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My B&L setup is the same as you describe. The curved end goes to the front mount, under the round section between the two cone-shaped eccentrics. When held in place with your fingers the spring is parallel to the bolt. As you tighten with the wing nut it will bend upward. No need to over tighten. The front adjustment is for elevation by the cone shaped eccentrics and the rear adjustment is for windage.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    navc 130 I thought I have the spring in wrong, bent end pointing up went under the round part of the mount in front and the flat end upper the bar on the rear mount. I noticed the bar wanted to bend in the middle and did not think that was right. Thought I should lay flat against the bottom of the scope.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On my 30-06 Springfield there is a gap slightly thicker than a penny between the spring and bottom of the rings base, with the wing nut mildly tightened. What I do not know is if the spring should be tightened to bottom-out. I will ask our expert gunsmith at the next gunshow April 28.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The system for this scope must be a good one. I put the spring in the right way and it was dead on.