In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shipping a handgun to a C&R- again!!

golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have an FFL. Can I ship an eligible handgun to a C&R holder BY US MAIL. It is my understanding I can't

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, you cannot mail a handgun to a C&R licensee. [V]

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm

Neal
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    You can only use a private carrier like UPS or FedEx. Their rules say overnight shipping only = $$$. Best to have an FFL dealer send it.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as it grieves me (I am a C&R FFL holder) the gents above me are correct- handguns may only be mailed between DEALERS and MANUFACTURERS. Or in a few rare exceptions, to members of the military, etc. When they wrote the regs, they left out collectors.

From the Domestic Mail Manual:

f. Licensed manufacturer and licensed dealer mean, respectively, a manufacturer of firearms or a bona fide dealer of firearms, duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury, under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618), 18 USC 921, et seq.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    You can only use a private carrier like UPS or FedEx. Their rules say overnight shipping only = $$$. Best to have an FFL dealer send it.

The OP states he is an FFL holder.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave

He still can't send a handgun to a C&R through the US Mail. It needs to to go an FFL dealer or through a private carrier.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave

He still can't send a handgun to a C&R through the US Mail. It needs to to go an FFL dealer or through a private carrier.

Gotcha, I was thinking that the C&R cant receive in mail no matter who was sending, but I am easily confused. [8D] Thanks for clearing that up.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    Didn't this argument come up a couple of years ago?

And didn't CaptFun point out a change in the Postal Service rules to allow shipment of a C&R handgun to a C&R FFL?

Or did I dream it?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Didn't this argument come up a couple of years ago?

And didn't CaptFun point out a change in the Postal Service rules to allow shipment of a C&R handgun to a C&R FFL?

Or did I dream it?

He gave his interpretation, but it was not backed up by the Postal Regs. This is the form which every dealer or manufacturer must sign and submit to his or her post office branch before mailing a handgun:

TTnF7col.png

The final sentence is the operative one: To the best of my knowledge and belief, the addresses are manufacturers or bona fide dealers there in.

If the person on the receiving end doesn't meet that definition, or is not one of the very rare exceptions mentioned by 11b6r, then he cannot receive a handgun through the mail.