In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1886

isutoadisutoad Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
Hello again just wondering wht the experts think of the grade of this?
hope pic's go thru thanks in advance Kevin
[imgDSC00621.jpg][/img]
imDSC00619.jpg
g]
imgDSC00618.jpg]
[img][/img]
sorry dont know how to resze them maybe or im sure someone will tell me

Comments

• isutoadisutoad Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in need of instruction as to the disassembly of 1886 take-down. I would appreciate any help.
    edited November -1
    I've been asked to sell a Winchester 1886 45-90 for a family member. How does one go about getting an accurate appraisal on one of these oldtimers? From the serial number, I've determined that it was made in 1897, and it appears to be in excellent working order considering it's 106 years old. However, I have no idea as to an accurate percent rating, etc. I've heard reference to the Cody Museum, but have no idea what that entails. Any direction I could get on getting this thing appraised would really be appreciated.
    Also, I can find very little information on the viability of the 45-90 cartridge. With the resurgence in popularity of the 45-70 in the last few years, can anyone comment on the merits of this longer .45? Does it have a value as a modern hunting loading, or is it just a thing of the past, for cowboy shoots, etc? Thanks.

Kick it. Don't kiss it.
    edited November -1
    did they make the model 1886 with a half magazine
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester 1886 in 40-65.
    If I read the Serial number correctly it is either #6 or #9.
    The lever pin is missing,and some of the screws have been replaced with mismatched ones.
    The blueing is very good.Stock has some cracks.
    Can anyone tell me as to where to get a lever pin and some original screws?
    The very low S/N intrigues me.

Mike Hood
    edited November -1
    Hi folks. You've all been quite helpful in the past when I come across an old gun such as my Colt Officer's Match Model .38 and my Forehand Arms 1886 .38 revolver.

This time the gun in question is a Winchester 1886 .33 caliber (?). I haven't seen it in person yet but have photos. Serial is 1332xx. 24" Barrel lever action. The finish on appears pretty worn on the metal surfaces but otherwise it appears in good shape. I am told it is mechanicly sound and safe to use. It has a small scope mounted on it.

Any info or thoughts would sure be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    edited November -1
    Hello,

My husband inherited a Winchester Model 1886 38-56 rifle from his grandfather. The serial # is 83290. Other markings on the barrel are "PAT Oct 14, 1884" and below that "Jan 20, 1885". The gun is not in great condition. It hasn't been fired in more than 10 years and at one time, an owner decided to create is own "art" on the stocks... It's almost as if it belonged to a young boy. Anyway, we are interested in selling it, but don't know where to begin as far as getting an accurate value for it if any. Any information you can give us would be much appreciated. Here are photos http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j79/edh7507/guns/
    edited November -1
    What is the value of this Winchester 1886 in .45-70 with serial number 123XX?

dsc01731024x685.jpg
    dsc01831024x685.jpg
    edited November -1
    I picked up a Win 1886 yesterday with SN 190xx so I think it was made in 1889. I bought the gun believing the barrel was NOT original to gun. Am I correct in assuming that even the earlier 1886's had the caliber stamped on the barrel? Octagon barrel is a touch over 24" from end of barrel to front receiver where barrel goes in. Full length magazine. Other than my belief the barrel is not original the gun appears (by my non-expert eyes) original but have not taken it apart to check inside.

If I am not correct and the earlier guns did not have the caliber stamped on barrel, could the length I mentioned be correct? Even with a non-original barrel, I thought it was pretty cool and didn't see how I could get hurt too bad for $600.00.

I assume the only way to find out the caliber would be to get a letter from Cody or can a gunsmith figure it out by measurements?

Thanks, Stan
    edited November -1
    Got a Winchester Model 1886 from my dad who got it from his dad. Story goes my grandfather bought the rifle as a 40-82 but shells would not work. Took back and gunsmith who said it was marked wrong at the factory and remarked it to a 45-70. That?s what it is today. Can this be true.
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I highly doubt the factory would incorrectly mark the barrel. I would think if your grandfather bought it new and found out it was marked wrong he would of exchanged it for a different gun. It was a expensive gun back then as they are today. The first thing I would do is contact the Cody Museum and have them check the factory records to see how it left the factory. The only catch is they don't have all the records for the 86. They have 1-145999 and 150800-156599.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen a fair number of marked wrong or oddball things from the factories so it could be true - close inspection would give away a re marked, a new barrel at that time would be harder to detect.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Bob... Winchester would have never allowed a Model 1886 to leave the factory with a mismarked barrel. If the barrel is marked "40-82 W.C.F.", that is the caliber/cartridge it was originally built as. It is not uncommon to find old Winchester rifles that have been rebored to a larger caliber.
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once the barrel was made and chambered at the factory I would think it would of been stamped with the caliber at that point. Then the barrel went to get proofed by putting it in a fixture and proof firing it, At that time the guy doing it would noticed the discrepancy.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Grass RangeGrass Range Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have someone who knows how do a chamber cast so you will know if it has been rechambered