In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cleaning a nickel revolver

VonFatmanVonFatman Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
i have a nickel smith and wesson model 15. i need to get it cleaned up (see pic).
any suggestions? i need the powder marks gone but do not want to mess up a nice revolver.
thanks!
bob

standard.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to keep shooting the gun, oil it up and put it away.
    If you are not going to shoot it for a long time, or are going to sell it, you can use Simichrome polish (or Flitz, Mother's, etc.)
    Apply it sparingly to a soft cloth, and gently scrub the carbon deposits.
    Be aware that each time you do this, you are removing some of the nickel plating. It can only safely be done a few times before you polish through the nickel.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Flitz and other type of abrasive polishes. They will change the appearance of the finish, and make it look different. Try mpro7 for the powder removal, I think it's a great product, and has worked very well for me..

http://www.mpro7.com/m-pro7-gun-cleaner.html
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Elsewhere it was reported S&W said Hoppie's Elite. I'd try a soft cloth and WD-40. Any copper solvent is a pour choice and should be cleaned off quickly.
  • Options
    VonFatmanVonFatman Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks gents. i have mother's and flitz on the shelf. i had used them to clean a stainless gun to two. i just did not know about nickel.

bob
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Miracle Cloth !!!

Have used them for years ! Great !!!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Miracle Cloth is really too abrasive to use on nickel plating.
    Try the suggested carbon-removing chemicals before you use any abrasive. (And, Flitz IS abrasive!)
    If you do use a polish, use very light pressure.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ain't there a spray one uses before shooting to reduce crap build up? I'm thinking something for black powder? Just can't remember the name of the spray. It should work for regular guns, right?
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Toad has it right; M-Pro7 (formerly MP-7) is designed and formulated to dissolve carbon.
    No smell. No mess. No elbow grease.
    Spray it on & go away.
    If the stain is really on there, a soft toothbrush will disturb the surface enough to let it soak further.
    Amazing what this stuff can do, on a myriad of surfaces!
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This MAY OR MAY NOT be true, but considering what may be at risk, it's worth checking out. I've never owned a nickel plated weapon but have used bottles of Hoppe's No. 9 over the years.
    Seem to recall the caution that this product will damage nickel plating. Yes?
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I know Hoppe's is intended to get up under metal deposits and loosen them so they can be cleaned away. Nickel is a metal deposit I think, usually with copper underneath?? so I wouldn't leave Hoppe's on a nickel plated gun for a long period of time.