In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S & W Model 3 American First Model

cdnguncdngun Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Greetings!I've recently become aware of a S & W Model 3 American First Model. .44 Smith & Wesson American, Nickel, 8" barrel available through a friend of mine father's estate. A document from S & W this year states that the firearm was part of a shipment to the U.S. Gov't National Armoury, Springfield. MA of 1000 Model 3's. The firearm has the remainder of the US property marking on the top of the barrel.The estate has asked me to look into selling the revolver to a collector and I would be interested in what the approximate value of the revolver would be. I haven't seen it yet but it is described as in excellent condition. It was sold in 1871.Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any comments would be appreciated.Regards

Comments

• john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this was one of the 1000 ordered by the Army, the serial number should fall in the range of 126-2199. It should have the US stamp on top of the barrell, and the inspectors cartouche OWA on the left grip, but may be worn off by now. The nickel, if original, is desirable, only 200 made. If this fits, the value depending on condition ranges from $2700 to upwards of $5000. I'm not certain how much more the nickel would be but estimate 15% - 20%. Hope this helps.
  • cdnguncdngun Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx John for taking the time to respond. It is serial number 2035 and according to S & W was part of that shipment of 1000 to the US Gov't where 800 were blue finish and 200 were nickel. I'm in Canada so I will have to scout around to see whether or not there are collectors up here interested in this firearm..Regards