In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hartford 12 Ga. Hammered Double

jonmarkwhitejonmarkwhite Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I traded for a Hartford Fire Arms Co. 12 Ga. Double Barrel with hammers yesterday. This gun is cosmetically worn, but the action is very tight.The man I got it from is in his 70's and does not have an heir to pass it on to. He told me that his grandfather had the gun before 1902, so we are sure that it is at least 100 years old.Can anyone tell me some more about this great gun? It has Hartford Fire Arms Co. on the left side of the receiver. The barrels are 32" long. On the top of the left barrel it says "Choke Bored", and on the right it says "Genuine Armory Steel".Under the forearm the serial number is stamped "102874".Any information on this shotgun would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much!Jon M. White[This message has been edited by jonmarkwhite (edited 10-28-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were "store-brand" utility shotguns made by Crescent Firearms Company / H&D Folsum, made for both Simons Hardward and Shapleigh Hardward Company and both were of St. Louis, Mo.They have have no collector value and are family heirlooms and wall-hangers.They are not up to modern smokeless powder loads. No, they won't blow up in your face as they were reasonably well made utility shotguns, but their metalurgy won't stand up to todays modern smokeless powder's pressure curve.If you have gunsmith who knows his cookies with old turn of the century shotguns and AFTER it is checked out, you can use black powder shotshells or shotshell loaded with a black powder substitute such as Clean Shot. Such a loading is available from L. A. Outdoors in Enterprise, Alabama, (334) 347 - 6909.I don't care who tells you that you can use "low-brass" shotshells. I load for old Damascus barreled shotguns and I am a fan of the old Crescent Firearms Company guns and have some of them. I know from experience that what they are saying is WRONG. If you are unwilling to have it checked out by a competent gunsmith and are unwilling to find black powder shotshells or those from L.A. Outdoors that are used in Cowboy Action shooting events, then you need to make a wall-hanger out of it.
  • Options
    jonmarkwhitejonmarkwhite Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I really appreciate the information. Yeah, I am going to have it checked out before I shoot it. I will also take your advise and get some black powder shells. Matter of fact, I am looking forward to shooting the vintage loads.How would I go about dating this piece?Since this is not a collectable gun, I don't suppose there would be any harm in refinishing it...
    Thank you very much!Jon M. White
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Black powder shotshells are about like finding hen's teeth and when you do, they cost an arm and a leg. You might find some one who custom loads black powder for Cowboy Action shooting.That is why I gave you the reference to L. A. Outdoors in Enterprise, Alabama. They load on the "Activ" shotshell case - in orange - with Clean Shot. The shell is unmistakable. You immediately know it is not a modern smokeless powder shotshell. Also Clean Shot powder is a heck of a lot easier to clean up after that black powder. And at $7 a box, it is not worth my time to try to custom load common #8 shotshells.2. There is no serialization records that exist for Crescent Firearms Company. So you have come about as close to dating it as you are going to get. The only way to nail it down, is to have some ancedotal record, such as a journal saying granddaddy bought a new shotgun during the summer of 18xx and took them hunting on their birthday of the following year.3. Since the shotgun has NO collector interest, you can do anything to it you like that personally enhances its appeal to you.