In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

EAA Witness .45 Compact

AZHARLEYAZHARLEY Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Is this a good gun?? I am looking to get a reliable .45 to conceal and to play around with! I don't want to pay a whole lot either!! I am also looking at the Ruger P97 or the S&W .40. Would appreciate any advice!!

Comments

• Options
    compgunfirecompgunfire Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Witness series of pistols are great guns, if you've been watching (reading) this board, you've rarely seen anyone bad-mouth the pistols.For everyday carry, I feel that they are too heavy (unless you're talking about a polymer frame) to carry concealed unless you're a large frame person.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at the Polymer. What exaclty is the Polymer, plastic?? Also is The Wonder Finish just a standered SS? Thanks
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AZ, I can't speak personally for the compacts but the full size are great. I have owned one and it is very reliable and more accurate than I am. I would recomend them highly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Wonder-Finish" is EAA's fancy term for Hardchrome. It is a very tough and durable finish that you'd want over their (EAA) standard black oxide finish. The polymer frame is sort of a high-tech plastic.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Wonder-Finish" is EAA's fancy term for Hardchrome. It is a very tough and durable finish that you'd want over their (EAA) standard black oxide finish. The polymer frame is sort of a high-tech plastic.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's what I learned in college chemistry class (I took it twice so I know it real good). Polymer is not a plastic. There are claims that it is, pound for pound, more durable than steel. I have yet to be convinced but I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to guns anyway. I don't get into firearms competition but I read the results of national competitions posted in the back page of American Rifleman and you'd be surprised at how many winning competitors use the EAA Witness as a base for their competition guns. [This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 10-29-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the Reply's!! It looks like the Witness it is!!!
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And a good choice it isWonder upperPolymer lower
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you have any suggestions on where to get a good price for one?? I am in AZ?? Let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot the Witness .45 and the Ruger P 97.I settled on the full size Witness Poly .45 because the 3-dot sights are just a little larger than Ruger's, the Wonder finish upper seems to handle the abuse of being carried in a fanny pack and I like the idea of being able to carry 10 rds. as opposed to 8 rds. for the Ruger. You'll be able to purchase one for around $300. They're both reliable. I still have to give the Witness my vote.tideman"Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"