In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New, I Want A Gun!

goheels18goheels18 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I'm new to guns and shooting as my dad and I have just begun shooting together. I love going out with him at some ranges and shooting some high powered guns! He has his 357, AK 47, 9mm, and 22, but I want a gun of my OWN and so I'm looking for advice on buying a gun. I'm 13 and my dad sugests a Ruger 22 and thats what I think I want. I love shooting his, but I just like to have things to say are my OWN. So I'm wondering if you think this is a good idea for me. I want the Ruger 22, with a nice scope, and a 30 rnd. magazine. I am also looking for some cheap ammo so I won't have to waste my money on expensive cases. If anyone knows any good sites for buying what I want, knows a good deal on this site, or has a suggestion for another gun, please reply to this or e-mail me. Also, I'm looking to be in some local tournaments where I can have fun with friends, learn more about guns, and maybe win some prizes. If anyone knows of any tournaments in the Naples, Florida area, or knows of any tournaments that visit local cities often, that would be a great help. Thanksgoheels18@yahoo.com

Comments

• OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOD I love this Country.........I'll buy you your first brick of ammo.....tell me how much and I'll send you the money.... I want to tell your dad Thanks, for it is through concerted efforts of the elders to teach the young the enjoyment shooting brings to a person. Keep us posted when you do enter these contest, so we'll know how your doing! GOODLUCK! How far is Pinellas Park from you? I know a man there who sells alot of guns on gunbroker, he would be happy to help you find the right rifle, his email is: Wain@egunstore.com just tell him I sent youand he'd be glad to help.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.comMember ~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    goheels18,you`ll never guess what town I live in!!!Naples!!!Small World!!!I suppose you shoot at the Flarda Sports Park,off 951,(home of the swamp buggy races),you can get info from there.Keep in touch,look forward to hearing from you again!!!.218
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Congratulations... soon as you know it, you'll be hooked on centerfire, reloading, etc. The Ruger 10/22 is a good choice, but if you are looking for a bolt action, or a bit cheaper semi auto, the Marlin series is also excellant. Look at their 880 series of bolt action .22s and the Marlin 60 semi auto. The 60 is every bit as good as the 10/22 by Ruger, but isn't finished quite as nicely and uses a fixed tube magazine, but costs about $80 less. As for ammo, CCI Blazer, Reminton Thunderbolts, and Winchester Wildcats are all great "plinking ammo" and should run about $9-$15 per "brick" of 500, depending on where you get them. All are good, but some will work better in you gun than others.As for scopes, Tasco makes very cheap scopes which are, nonetheless, fairly accurate if you are just looking for fun. Just starting out, I would go with one of these. Really, scopes start at under ten dollars and run into thousands of dollars depending on use and size, power, etc. All together, a new Marlin 60, cheap case, ammo, and acceptable scope should set you back no more than $200, though I imagine it could be done in the $150 range if you go for a really cheap scope and get a good deal on the gun.Welcome, and god bless.P.S. Do keep using this forum- we always like to hear from newbies.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • XML RanchXML Ranch Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I agree, the 10-22 is an excellent choice for a first rifle. In fact, it is an excellent for many a seasoned rifleman. All the variations and after market doo dads one can purchase are proof of this rifle's popularity.There is nothing like getting your first firearm. It is something a man (or woman, I guess)will remember the rest of his life. This is a serious step when one takes on the responsibility of firearms ownership. It is only one of the many rights and responsibilities we have as citizens of this county. I would like to congratulate you on taking this very big step. You, young man, have a good man as a father. Honor him as he honors you.Enjoy you new rifle.
  • goheels18goheels18 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Thanks for all the support and help. I really appreciate it. If any of you guys have AOL Instant Messanger we could discuss guns and so on there. I would enjoy that. Orphanedcowboy I appreciate your offer, I'm not real sure how far away I live from that city, but I would appreciate you letting that friend of yours know that I am looking for a new 22 Ruger. Also, thanks for the offer on the ammo! I'll let you know when I get my gun!!! Thanks!!! 218Beekeep, maybe I could go shooting with you some time, thats pretty neat that we both live in Naples. I live off of the first street in the estates, Weber. Right near the park and the school. Hopefully I can meet you sometime. Also, do you know of any nearby tournaments? Do you ever go to any? I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get; everyone, please e-mail me at goheels18@yahoo.com or we can talk on AOL Instant Messanger. I'm goheels18 there. Thanks, hope to hear from everyone soon.
    edited November -1
    You let me know when you get it and I'll send you the money, Tell your dad Thanks From the gang......and I think it is several hundered miles to Pinellas Park from where you are, But I bet 218beekeep can tell you where to get your Ruger cheap, seems they ran an ad here in Texas on the blued/wood 10/22 for $139 yesterday, and it can grow with you as you age, and there is a world of aftermarket goodies to customize it with, things you and your father can do yourself.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com Member ~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my first guns was a marlin model 60 .22 cal. I still have it and though I don't shoot it much anymore it is fun to have around. I look at a 10/22 like it's a model 60 on a healthy diet of vitamins and steroids, you can't miss. I just bought a Ruger 77/22 bolt action, a while back, put a leupold scope on it and it shoots pretty nice. Good Luck, and safe shooting.
    edited November -1
    Thanks again, do you happen to know of any other good websites for buying guns? I would love that. Also, what should I search for on gunbroker to find the Ruger 22? Tell me if you see any good deals. Thanks
    edited November -1
    Hey goheels,I live right around the corner from ya,I go down that road all the time,wife and kids go to that park.First time I`ve met anyone on here that lives this far down the state.I don`t suppose you should be so specific(on the net) as to where you live though..ya got to be carefull.The fine people here will be glad to help out all they can,..it`s what they live for!I`d be glad to meet you and your dad,talk about guns,brag to ya about mine...and go shoot a few.By the way..where do you guys shoot?..I just go to the woods..don`t really care for organized stuff.Maybe sometime I`ll show ya the articles about how many gators my dad killed,years ago.And how I would go on gator hunts with him when I was little.Just call me .218
    edited November -1
    Hey O.cowboy,Pinellas Park is only 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours north of here,it`s more or less part of Tampa.Pretty wild that this young feller lives about 3 minutes away from me,huh?.218
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's great to have you aboard! The 10/22 is a great gun to get started with. However, the 30-round magazine will run you almost as much as the gun if you can get your hands on one. If you are 13 and growing, the 10/22 will be easy and quick to grow out of. It feels like a "youth model" when I shoulder it. I would recommend a Marlin Model 60. It's a good-sized gun that you can shoot now (probably) and will continue to enjoy even if you get to be 6' tall. Heck, the way the young'ns are growing these days, you probably are 6' tall already.
    edited November -1
    Ya never know,he might even be able talk me into given up one of my treasured Pre WW2 Savage Model-6 Auto loading 22 Rifles.It can be fired as a Semi Auto,or locked in and fired as a bolt action.Now there is a rifle a guy can appreciate!.218
  • shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    goheels18, You better take OL'218beekeep up on that before he wakes up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sir Shane of the~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • BAALBBAALB Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    goheels18, I live in Naples also. In fact, I live in Golden Gate not to far from where you do and my sister lives on White where Weber runs into it. I just purchased a Ruger 10/22 about a month ago but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. It is a nice little gun and feels great. I plan on getting to the sports park as soon as I can to do a little shooting.
    edited November -1
    Hi, Thats great that you live near me. Last sunday we went shooting way out almost to the everglades! We went on Golden Gate Blvd. east to Everglades Blvd. then turned right (south) and just kept going staright for about 10 minutes until we got to a street marked "70" from paint in the road. So we went way out there! It was a lot of fun, they have some good targets and ranges out there, nothing organized though; just big mounds of dirt, about 150 yrds. apart but they face different directions. O, and .218, I would love to have that gun!!!! Heck, I would love to have any gun. Also, about my choice between the 10/22 or the Marlin Model 60, I think I will first buy the 10/22, then when I get enough money, buy the Marlin Model 60. (and I'm not 6' tall yet!! hahaha, I'm short for my age, I'm only 5'2")I think thats the best idea. But it's going to take a while, I don't have much money now, and I only get payed $20 a month, so it'll take a little while to get the 10/22, then even longer to get the Marlin Model 60 unless I can find some way to make money. Well, I have to go to school now, talk to you guys later. Thanks again.Chris
    edited November -1
    BAALB, thats great, I now exactly where your sister lives... Pine Ridge runs into White correct? ya, that takes about 2 min. to get to from my house!!! hopefully you, me, and .218 can all go shooting together sometime, also I think you'll enjoy the 10/22. I has no kick which makes perfect for shooting on the range or shooting small animals. Well, I'll be here again tonight, I have to go to school now, bye.Chris
    edited November -1
    I think we found someone to adopt 218beekeep.....LOL.....I don't think the boy could have found a better mentor, or story teller than ole beekeep, I still laugh about the one you told a month ago, it makes my eyes water, I'll check with Wain and see what he can sell you a rifle for, and give him your address goheels18, He'll be in touch with you soon.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
    edited November -1
    Hello again, I'm not too sure what you guys are talking about with this adoption thing, but it sounds funny... LOL. I appreciate you telling your friend Wane, that should help a lot. My e-mail address is goheels18@yahoo.comjust tell him to e-mail me there please. OR you guys could chat with me on AOL Instant Messanger if you have it. My screen name on that is goheels18. Talk to you all later, thanks again.Chris