In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Inland M1 carbine Info

TOMBECKTOMBECK Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Recently picked up an Inland Carbine SN 6449XXX still with DCM Box (no papers).It looks about 98% with little or no use.It has an Underwood Bbl. 8/44 and I believe a Winchester Stock ("W" in the oiler/sling cut) The trigger housing is Inland as is the Handguard-4 rivet (also marked IO) The Trigger Housing appears all M1 but the stock (slightly bellied but not like some M2s I've seen)has the M2 cut. It has the Bayonet Lug and the adjustable rear site that is milled-not stamped.I am not a collector, but would guess that since this was near the end of a SN run, that somehow parts were moved around from the major manufacturers, resulting with the Underwood bbl and Winchester stock on a almost like new Inland Carbine.I would appreciate any input on the correctness of this this piece and an approxamite market value.(864) 338-7313 TOMBECK@STATECOM.net

Comments

• Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although some contractors combined parts from many subcontractors, Inland was the largest with 43% of total production and was able to manufacture most of the parts they needed. Your carbine would have had an Inland barrel and stock when new, so it is likely that it was rebuilt at an arsenal.I would expect it to sell in the $450-500 range.Neal
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tombeck,Good guess, but wrong.Your Carbine, like most others, was rearsenalled after the war. Parts were replaced without regard to manufacturer.This does not mean it isn't a good rifle - it IS correct USGI issue. It could be that this rifle served in Korea and was repaired upon return the the US (a likely scenario). After that it was transferred to the DCM and sold.I'd place the value slightly less, in the $400-450 range in today's market. The market for M1 Carbines heated up big time a couple of years ago and seems to have cooled back down a bit.I am a collector of M1 Carbines and have researched them a good deal for my collecting purposes.
  • Options
    TOMBECKTOMBECK Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TO nmyers@home.com & luger01APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS,BUT IF REWORKED, SHOULD THERE NOT BE A "REWORK" STAMP SOMEWHERE? I COULD FIND NONE! THERE IS NO SIGN OF USE, ONLY A FEW HANDLING MARKS. (NO IMPORT MARKS EITHER-AND HAVE THE DCM SHIPPING BOX)AGAIN, NOT A COLLECTOR, BUT IF I UNDERSTAND LARRY RUTH "M1 CARBINE DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT, AND PRODUCTION" THERE WAS A COMMITTEE THAT COORDINATED "BRINGING THINGS TOGETHER" TO EXPIDITE OUTPUT. READ COMMENTS ON PAGE 127 OF THE 1988 PRINTING (END OF CHAPTER 7)BARRELS AND STOCKS WERE APPARENTLY MOVED AROUND BASED ON NEEDS. IF THERE MORE CARBINES IN THIS SN RANGE, AND IN THIS CONFIG.I WOULD BELIEVE IT IS "CORRECT" AS ORIGIONAL.YOUR ADDED INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.TAB II
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While reference books are invaluable to collectors, it's also important that you actually see as many examples as possible. Things like finish color and combinations of components start to become more meaningful."Rebuild" has a wide range of meaning. It could be as little as swapping the stock and replacing the rear sight, or as much as stripping everything and reparking all metal. Stocks might be sanded and refinished, or just replaced. It's not unusual to find rebuilt carbines with a replacement M2 stock with only the proof P and no rebuild stamp. Yes, the Carbine Industry Integration Committee did arrange for the use of different manufacturers parts by prime contractors. While an Underwood barrel could be expected on a National Postal Meter, Standard Products, or Irwin-Petersen carbine, it is unlikely to have been used on an Inland.If your receiver has a smooth, greenish appearance, it probably has the original finish. If it has a dark gray finish, it is most likely an arsenal refinish.Neal