In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 carbine

matt762matt762 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to buy a Battle Rifle configured as a carbine (16"bbl) with a 'small stock'.I have some research that has led to the Armalite AR-10A4C, but I would like to get some real world opinions regarding a high quality weapon in the configuration I've mentioned.Any help would be great.P.S. Thi weapon will compliment a SIG 220 for home/personal defense. I will not be doing much hunting, I have just never liked the .223.

Comments

• Options
    ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my Springfield Armory M1A, they make a Scout model that is shorter, with an 18" barrel.Stick to GI mags, they are still around for $45-$60 a piece.Here's a pic of a Standard Size and Scout model. Expect to pay around $1200 for a Scout. They mention an M6 Scout in the picture, but that's a different gun entirely.If you click on Rifles, M1A, you can scroll through the M1A models they offer to find details on the M1A Scout. http://www.springfieldarmory.com/products.shtml [This message has been edited by ED P (edited 10-29-2001).]
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my reservations about a .308 for "home defense". It's going to go through any wall that isn't made out of sandbags, and should you have neighbors ...... I'm sure you get the pictureBut I second the opinion on the M1A scout being very good quality and it would be one of my first choices for a .308
  • Options
    metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are wanting the big money gun the AR-10 is excellant. The m1a scout is also excellant. The FAL carbine would be another I would suggest. I have to say however that for home defense nothing is better than a shotgun. Controlable penetration, much wider field of death (at three in the morning a dinner plate kill zone vs. a .308)and an array of inexpensive weapons for choice of delivery. Food for thought.Andy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I think that I left out some important info about my situation.All of the concerns for the caliber choice mentioned here are valid but I am out of town a bit and have the SIG 220 for CCW and inside the home defense. I like the thought of a carbine for multiple roles, and I love the look of some of the choices of these weapons.And like the famous Russian proverb says,"even paranoids have enemies".Thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I think that I left out some important info about my situation.All of the concerns for the caliber choice mentioned here are valid but I am out of town a bit and have the SIG 220 for CCW and inside the home defense. I like the thought of a carbine for multiple roles, and I love the look of some of the choices of these weapons.And like the famous Russian proverb says,"even paranoids have enemies".Thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the FAL and CETME guns. Either is alow cost .308 and a good value. If you want to go all out, buy a DSA Fal, it is very highly rated.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excuse SaxonHe gets kind of wimpy on calibers,full auto,reloading,etc.Get a FAL or M1A folding stock carbine.cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all of the experts for your advice. I just got the OK from my wife and am calling Armalite as I write this. I've settled on the AR-10A4C w/ NM trigger and SS 16"bbl with black furniture. Gotta go, getting off hold.Once again, thanks.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw an add in shotgun news for a HK G3 "Shorty" Carbine for under $500 if memory serves, you might check it out.