In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1917-- U.S. Springfield Scope (Needed)

joannalsojoannalso Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
My rifle has been drilled and tapped for a scope,but it's missing. Is there a "correct" scope for this rifle or has someone just put one on. If there is a correct scope and mounting ring's please give me the #s I would need to track it down. Or point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, but someone just put a scope there. There was never a sniper version of that rifle. The holes in the receiver take away any collector value; you may be able to get $100 for it.
  • Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joannalso--Perhaps if you describe your rifle a little better we can be of more help. I know that I'm a little confused....is it a Model 1917 U.S. Enfield, or is it a 1903 Springfield? The two take different mounts. I'm going to play the odds here in answering your question and assume that the holes for the mounts have been drilled the standard distance apart. If not, you have a little bit of a problem and will have to see a gunsmith or a machinist for custom mounts. You can quickly tell by placing a standard mount over the receiver holes and observing if the holes for the screws are centered in the mount holes. A very common type of mount is the Weaver, and they are inexpensive. For the 1903 Springfield you would need (rear) #54 and (front) #55. If you have the 1903-A3 version you would need (rear) #59 and (front) #45. The 1917 is a little more difficult to scope because the large protective ears on either side of the issue rear sight are usually removed by grinding, milling, etc. and the resulting shape of the rear of the receiver can vary from job to job. The following guidelines are given: If the receiver is close to a Winchester Model 70, you need (rear) #47 and (front) #46. If it's more like a Remington Model 721 you need #36 & #35. If it's like a Remington Model 30 (which it has been my experience they usually are) you will need a #11 & #11. There are several other brands and designs available, but the Weaver type is very popular and practical; and the price is low enough that you can afford to be wrong a couple of times to get it right. As Mr. Meyers noted above, the 1917 had no sniper version; and in any event, any scope that fits your purposes will do. If you use Weaver bases you will have to acquire rings that are compatable with the bases. Good luck with your project.....get back to us if you require more help.
  • Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iam sorry,but I must disagree with the Mountain Hunter on this one. The United States and Great Britain both had sniper versions of the U.S.Model 1917(.30-06) and the P1914(.303 British)during WWI. As we all know,these two Models are just different versions of the same rifle. Haveing said all this I do agree that this is most likely a sporterized Model 1917. However,we need a lot more information to be sure. Where are the holes for the scope base,on the side of the action or on top? Is the rifle still in it's original military configuration? That is to say,full length stock,rear sight "ears" intact,pot belly magazine with unstraightened floor plate and is the front sight with it's "ears" still there? If this rifle could be proven to be an original sniper,it would have a lot of collector interest. If on the other hand the rifle has been sporterized,then it's only value is as a shooter.