In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1A Recv.

a191145a191145 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
how much for new single lug recv. from Smith Int.? have someone who wants to sell me one & trying to figure out fair price. the evil side of me says go low,the better side of me always overrules,so i can sleep at night. i know at this time Smith is not making them. please help! GOD BLESS THIS REPUBLIC

Comments

• nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time I looked at Springfield Armory receivers they were around $380. I don't think that the Smith receivers are worth any more, so my thought is that $350 would be a fair price for either one of them in like-new condition. As buyer OR seller, I could live with that price.Just my opinion.Neal
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A forged Smith goes for $800-$1000Cast Smith around $500Polytech or Norinco $500SA or Armscorp $400
  • buck007buck007 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the SA receiver.
  • a191145a191145 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanx guys! i'll try & find out if it's a forged or cast.
  • nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get into that "forged" or "cast" nonsense. Yes, USGI receivers were forged, and SA Inc receivers are cast, but, so what? The quality of the steel and the workmanship in an SA Inc receiver results in a receiver that is safe, accurate, and durable (and guaranteed for life).You SHOULD worry about the quality of the parts in the rifle, and the skill of the armorer who assembled and tested it. (My M14 clone has a SA Inc receiver, USGI parts including a Saco USGI lightweight NM barrel, and was assembled by an experienced independent armorer.)Neal